Chapter 18: Heat Wave.

Chapter 18

~Riley’s POV~

“Whad’ya think they’re talking about over there?” Kyle tilted his head in the direction of our crew, who had not surprisingly, kicked us out of whatever clandestine meeting they were having.

You’d think that after everything we’d all been through that they’d just get over themselves already.

I shrugged. “Whatever it is we’re probably better off not knowing anyway.” I commented untruthfully and frowned in contemplation.

The rest of the crew sat serious-faced around a large table not far from where I sat with Kyle. They all looked tense; or was it restrained excitement? I really couldn’t tell.

“Isn’t Johnny looking handsome this morning?”

I shifted my gaze to John, who sat with his elbows propped up on the clean surface of the table, listening to whatever it was Nathan was telling the group. He was wearing the same ugly prison clothes he wore every day, same tattoos, same shaved head, same huge muscles and same grumpy expression.

I rolled my eyes.

“You’re whipped.”

Kyle grinned briefly before turning to me with raised brows, “And you aren’t?”

“Well at least I’m not sitting here mooning over Nathan.”

“That’s cause you get to be with him all night.” He commented, then he let his eyes rove over me, “Lucky bastard.”

I chuckled then sighed, “Yeah and in just a few weeks Nathan’ll be gone and I’ll have to room with some other dude.

“I could put in a transfer for your cell.” Kyle looked at me, eyes wide with excitement and I shook my head.

“No point, you’ll be gone a month after Nate leaves and then what? I’d rather not get attached to anymore cell mates while I’m here.”

He shrugged, “The others will take care of you when we’re gone, I’ll make sure of it and you know I’ll visit and I’ll hunt Nathan down wherever he is and bring him along too.” He said good-naturedly and I offered him a small smile.

That I didn’t doubt.

“I don’t know how you do it Kyle.” I commented after a few seconds of silence.

“Do what?”

“Be so happy all the time. I mean you’re in prison but you don’t ever act like it.” I explained and he shrugged.

“You’re not there when I’m bawling my eyes out at night.” He commented and when I looked at him in concern he laughed it off.

“I guess I just don’t see the point of walking around sad all day, there’s nothing I can do about it.” He shrugged again.

“You make it sound so easy.” I frowned at him.

“Okay, look at it this way….if I hadn’t ended up in this dump I’d never have met you…or the guys…or John. Everything happens for a reason Riley.” He looked like he believed it too and I nodded.

He was still making it sound more simple than it was and I found myself wishing I had his outlook on life.

“Do you really cry yourself to sleep at night?”

He smiled. “At first I did…but then I met John.” He was silent for a second. “There’s just no way you can be sad with a face like that around.” He chuckled.

“I’m gonna go crash their meeting, come on.” He said standing up. I looked back and forth between the crew and Kyle with furrowed brows.

“You think that’s a good idea?”