Chapter 12: Solitary.

Chapter 12

“Is he looking over here?”

I glanced over at the table where my crew sat, then back at Kyle.

“No he’s still talking to Nathan.” I told him with a shake of the head.

Kyle looked crest-fallen and I sought to cheer him up. “Maybe they’re just having an important conversation.” I tried but Kyle wasn’t convinced.

“I was so sure he liked me but no matter what I try he doesn’t really react.” He said then seemed to think about it for a second before looking up at me with wide eyes. “Shit, do you think he’s straight?” he exclaimed, his eyes darting to John, then back to me.

I stared at him in surprise. “How should I know? I thought he told you he was gay or something, you’ve just ben assuming this whole time?” I questioned in disbelief and Kyle’s frown deepened.

“I don’t know, I just went with my instincts.” He mumbled and I shook my head. “Plus he barely even talks to me, so there’s no way I can just go up and ask him if he’s gay…what if he’s not and I piss him off?” he continued then glanced at John again. “Have you seen the size of him?”

I shrugged. “I say screw John, I’m sure you can find somebody else, who’s actually friendly and decent and isn’t likely to crush all your bones with a single hug.” I went on bitterly, my hatred of John never far from the surface.

“God, imagine me getting a hug from him.” He shivered then his eyes went all dreamy and I turned away from him to glance back over to the table.

Like John, Nate hadn’t glanced my way since lunch started either, as a matter of fact, he’d been strangely distant all morning. He hadn’t said a word to me when we woke up; even after I’d practically chattered his ear off and when I asked him a question he’d answered in monosyllables or not at all.

At first I’d chalked it up to him just being a grouchy morning person, but as they day had progressed I’d changed my mind about a hundred times already.

“Does Nathan seem...different to you today?” I asked Kyle, who seemed to be having difficulty tearing his eyes away from John to face me.

“I don’t know…he’s emotionless, unsmiling, glaring at everybody…I’d say he’s acting like he always does.” He shrugged and I nodded slowly.

“But he hasn’t said a word to me all day and he was looking at me weird earlier.” I told him and Kyle rolled his eyes.

“No dumbass, he was looking at me weird…he probably thinks I’m out to steal you away or something. No offence dude, but I prefer my meat muscular, tatted and grouchier than a motherfucker.” Kyle said describing John perfectly.

“I’ll never understand what you see in John...he’s a dick and he hates me for no reason.”

“And I’ll never understand what you see in Nathan, he’s an emotionless dick who hates me just because I’m sexy.” Kyle said with a smirk and I chuckled.

“You’re such a girl.” I commented but Kyle’s response was to wink and turn his attention back to John…who still had yet to even glance this way.

“You know, I think we could round up a space at our table for you twinks...no point in letting all this fresh meat go to waste.”

I looked up in shock when I heard Beans’ voice and started pushing up from the table so I could get out of his reach. He stood hovering over our table, a smirk pasted on his pudgy face.