Chapter 25: Detective John...Detective Nate.

Chapter 25

I woke to comfort the next morning, wrapped from neck to toes in about a million blankets and cushioned by the soft, well-padded mattress. I snuggled deeper into my warm cocoon reluctant to so much as open my eyes lest I lose the feeling of utter tranquility.

I appreciated the silence and I could smell the scent of the forest through a partially open window. It was heaven and I wasn’t ready to leave. I let out a sigh, a smile gracing my face as I finally opened my eyes.

Everything came rushing back to me when I realized whose room it was that I was in and whose bed I was snuggled so comfortably on and with that thought my peace shattered and the ache started deep in my heart.

Nathan.

The poor guy had been beyond devastated the night before. I couldn’t remember ever seeing someone in so much pain before, so absolutely hurt that he had practically been paralyzed by it and it wounded me to think of what he was going through.

Last night I had held him for what had felt like hours until there was nothing more he could let out, so that not even the tears could continue flowing, then I’d ushered him to his room and he’d followed, looking lost and empty as I wrapped him in his blankets and climbed in beside him.

We hadn’t uttered a word to each other as we lay there and eventually I had wrapped an arm around him, pressing my face to his chest so I could listen to his erratic heartbeat. It wasn’t until his breathing evened out and I was sure he was fast asleep that I had allowed myself to drift off and now here I lay, still wrapped in his blankets, only now I was alone.

I stretched my hand across the sheets so I could touch the indent he’d left in the mattress but the space was cool, which meant he’d left the bed long ago. With a sigh, I pulled myself into a sitting position and looked around the room; I hadn’t had much of a chance to see it last night. Like every other room in the ‘cabin’ it was decorated with a level of opulence and professionalism.

There were no personal touches just cold beauty, reminding me of a hotel room; built for comfort not family. I wish I knew more about Nate and how he had come by all of this. I wish I understood him; what pushed him to be the kind of person he was and what had led to his incarceration. I wish he would trust me enough to let me in…but I supposed his trust in me the night before was a start.

I finally got out of bed, curling my toes when they touched the cool floor. When I got to the door I took a breath, not sure what to expect but willing to face the new Nathan head on, so I pushed it open and stepped out into the hallway.

My first stop was the room I shared with Kyle, which was empty, and after a quick shower and teeth scrubbing I stepped out into the hallway once more, making my way to the kitchen where I could smell the coffee and frying bacon and eggs. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had bacon and eggs and my mouth watered.

When I stepped into the kitchen though, it was to the sight of said bacon and eggs frying without a cook and I looked around the room wondering where everyone was. Reaching up on tip toes, I pulled a mug from the cupboard and poured myself some coffee, adding the milk and sugar and stirring, while keeping my eyes on the frying pan.

I glanced out the window as I passed it and saw Kyle sitting on the porch railing smoking his stress away and I wondered briefly where he even found the cigarette.

“Hey what’s up?”

Kyle looked up at me when I joined him on the porc only moments later h and he offered me a warm smile.

“Nothin just taking in nature.” He explained, looked at the trees that surrounded us. Then he looked back at me with a knowing smile, wiggling his eyebrows as he stared.