bonus chapter 1//the laurens christmas party

(btw john is wearing what ben platt wore to the tonys and alex in what mike faist was wearing)

"This bow tie is obnoxiously long," I complained.

"Well you look incredibly charming, so I'm not letting you take it off."

Usually we would be with the Washingtons for Christmas, but John's father insisted that we come for his annual Christmas party. It was apparently a big deal, as he was a rich white man in the American south. He also used to be a congressman, but my explanation was much better, despite what John argued.

"I don't want to be here!" I whined.

I was already lying back on the bed, but John felt the need to pin me down. Seeing him above me brought a smirk onto both of our faces.

"I think you know the stakes," he purred, a hand crawling up my chest.

"I promise to be a good boy~"

"Good." He jumped off of me and continued to mess with his hair. "Besides, tonight won't be as bad as you think, trust me."

I scoffed.

"We can't even be seen as a couple, I doubt it can be more than miserable."

"Just you wait."

//\\

The lounge was filled with crusty, old white men with their wives. While there were a few guests my age, none of them looked any interesting.

"Can't we just go upstairs and have a little more fun than this?" I begged.

John shook hands with another man, exchanging greetings and well-wishes.

"No Alex, we're staying. Just try and get to know people. Introduce yourself as a friend."

I rolled my eyes. Alcohol it was then.

There were ladies carrying trays of champagne.

Do they have anything stronger?

It wasn't looking like it unfortunately. I took a drink still, despite my wanting of anything to make this night go faster.

By the time I returned to John, he was speaking with a girl about our age who was stunning. Her sleek black hair was tied in an updo that matched perfectly with her red cocktail dress.

"Oh Alex, this is an old friend of mine, Martha Mannings."

"Hello!" she cheerily greeted. "Jack and I were close childhood friends but then he left for school in New York."

"I was just telling her that's the way we met," he explained.

I nodded along with the conversation, not really paying any attention. I only perked up when my name was mentioned.

"So Alexander, you're a lawyer?" Martha asked.

"Yup, I work for a big firm back in NYC."

"Oh that's wonderful!"

Something caused her to turn around and back out of the conversation for a second. I almost groaned out loud when she returned.