027.

"So how do you even know Geoff?" Awsten was perched on the end of Zech's bed, sweatshirt pulled close to his body as he watched Zech pack the bowl.

Zech lived alone inside of a nice apartment deep in the roots of Houston. It was small and quaint, but thankfully not infested with bugs or drug dealers.

Zech flicked open his Zippo and lit the bowl ablaze, letting Awsten have the first hit. "He's in my college algebra class. I was the first one he even talked to whenever he got here." Once Awsten handed the pipe back, he took a long, hard hit of the bowl as well. "He asked me where he could get weed, and of course, I was told him that he had asked the right person."

Awsten came to know that Zech was the person everyone at his high school went to when it came to weed. It was Zech that gave Geoff the weed whenever the pair went to Jack's party. "So—were you two close?" The young boy stole another hit, thankful for the haze starting to form in his head.

"Depends what you define as close." Zech leaned back onto his bed, blowing rings of smoke into the air and watching them fall apart as they crashed into the ceiling. "We hung out a few times, smoked together, told stories about each other. He's a really good guy." He handed over the pipe and used his hands to support his head. "Talked a lot about you, though. That's the one thing he couldn't shut up about."

Red filled Awsten's cheek as he took a particularly harsh hit of the bowl, nearly knocking himself flat on his ass. He fell onto the bed next to Zech and handed it back over, giggling as he covered his now red face. "That makes me feel good, to know that it wasn't just me who was completely obsessed."

"Last time I saw the boy was after you guys cut class. He beat himself up for his episode, wouldn't stop blaming himself for it." Another flurry of smoke rings filled the room. "Kept telling me how good of a kisser you were, how much he wanted you more than anything, on and on and on."

Awsten's hazy mind couldn't exactly pinpoint on what Zech was saying anymore. "I just want him to wake up, Zech." The younger boy was curled into a ball, with tears softly dripping from his eyes. That's when he felt Zech's arms encompass his trembling body. He shouldn't have allowed himself to be held, but he stupidly did. He buried his face in the nape of Zech's neck as he sobbed quietly. "I–it's not right, Zech! He had no fucking right to put his hands on Geoff..."

Awsten felt Zech press his lips against the top of his purple hair, pulling him closer and trying to calm the young boy down. "I know, Aws. Geoff didn't deserve any of that. But I'm here for you, and as long as Geoff can't be here, I will be. I can promise you that."

————

Awsten was forced to go to school the next morning. His eyes were tugged down by bags, tears, and exhaustion. His body felt numb, almost as though it didn't belong to him anymore.

His head was pressed against the window of Zech's Audi as he was driven to school, watching raindrops dripping down the window. It was as if the sky itself was crying over Geoff's injury.

The doctors told Geoff's mother and sister that Geoff would wake up whenever his body had healed itself, but they also told them that it wasn't a set time of when Geoff could wake up. He was comatose, although it wasn't severe comatose.

"Aws, c'mon we're here." Zech sent Awsten a small smile as he unbuckled his seatbelt, pulling his hoodie over his head and beginning to climb out of the car.

Slowly, Awsten pulled his yellow vintage raincoat over his body, threw his backpack over his shoulder, and made his way through the double doors of the school. Eyes locked onto Awsten immediately, as news of what occurred last night had circulated around the entirety of the school.

The purple-haired boy pulled his backpack closer, pushed his head to the floor, and trudged through the cafeteria. Suddenly, a hand came to stop him, and he spun around only to see Jawn's tired eyes. "Aws, is everything okay?"

Immediately upon those words, tears puddled inside of Awsten's eyes as he sniffled slightly, his eyes turning down to the floor as they dropped down his cheeks. "N–not at fucking all." His voice broke as he began to crack, almost falling to the floor before being caught by Jawn's strong arms.

Jawn embraced his best friend closely, letting Awsten's tears soak into his skin. "I'm here Aws. I'm always going to be here." Jawn pulled away from his embrace to swipe at the tears stuck inside of Awsten's eyes, leaving the bags of the younger boy's eyes gleaming in the fluorescent lights. "You know he'll wake up. Geoff's a strong ass guy, and he couldn't leave you even if God himself tried to make him. He's going to wake up and come back to you, no matter what."

Awsten sniffled and curled his lips into a smile, laughing softly and letting out a small 'thank you Jawn.' But he couldn't believe what Jawn said. He couldn't believe anything anymore.

————

Happy New Years to all my lovelies on this account(: Jade and I are so thankful for each comment and vote and read we get. We can't wait to continue giving great content through the next year!

-Rilee