026.

Hospitals were nothing new to Awsten. He was just surprised it wasn't him being the patient this time.

The boy followed Geoff's gurney through the emergency ward, silently gagging as blood and gore filled each corner of the waiting room. He shut his eyes for a split second, regained his composure, and continued walking.

Nurses and doctors alike swarmed Geoff's motionless body, screaming vitals and examinations out into the open air. Awsten stood back, allowing the people to work as he watched on anxiously.

A young looking doctor came towards him, pushing his large hands into gloves. "Excuse me, is there any information you can give us on how exactly this happened?"

"W–well, he was beaten up by my father. I know that he got hit and kicked in the head too many times, but—" Awsten stopped talking as soon as the doctor had left him, informing his staff of the news. Nurses fled in search of medication for Geoff's IV, and Awsten stayed put, watching on and feeling guilty for not being able to help Geoff in any way.

That's when he felt a large hand grip his shoulder, pulling him out of his thoughts and out of Geoff's room. It was a burly security guard, with fleshy lips and a balding head of hair. "If you are not family, then you are not allowed to be in the room, I'm sorry sir."

"I am his family, I'm his boyfriend." Awsten broke free of the security guard's grip, eyeing him up and down as he tried his hardest to look tough. But even Awsten knew it was a failed attempt. "Just—please let me stay, that's my boyfriend, and I have to know he's okay."

The security guard took hold of Awsten's shoulder once more and, without warning, shoved the young boy into the wall. "Well listen here, faggot, you are not his family. Just because you two are gay doesn't make you entitled." He held the young boy into the wall as he reached for his radio, holding down a button as he talked clearly into it. "I'm going to need backup to remove someone from the premises."

————

Cigarettes sucked, but it was the only thing Awsten could find on his person. He sucked in a breath of the dingy smoke and blew it into the wind, gazing out over the dark streets in front of the Houston hospital.

He wasn't allowed back in, not until Geoff was moved into ICU at least. So, doing as he normally would, Awsten sat down onto the curb and starting smoking, an easy way to curve his anxiety.

Awsten had said multiple prayers to God since the ambulance ride, but now here he was again, this time saying it out loud. "Dear God, if you're actually listening to me for once, please let Geoff be okay. Just answer my prayer this one time, for my sake. Amen." He inhaled another round of cigarette smoke and huffed it out.

"Never took you for the religious type, Knight." It was a hazily familiar voice, causing the purple-haired boy to perk up and turn, noticing Zech approaching him. Zech was wearing all black, with one sleeve rolled up to reveal a hospital band and bandaid. He stole the spot next to Awsten and pulled out a cigarette of his own, lighting it and blowing out smoke. "Why are you sitting out here alone? Figured Wigington would be with you."

Awsten hastily took in another breath, letting the smoke filter lazily from his lips. "He would be if it wasn't for me." He tapped the end of the cigarette and watched flames of ashes fall to the concrete. "He's in the hospital, and I got kicked out for being gay. Ironic, huh?"

Shrugging, Zech stretching his legs over the asphalt of the road, letting the cigarette hang lazily from his lips. "You are in Texas, one of the most homophobic states in the country. What more did you expect?"

"I don't know, a little more fucking respect?" Awsten threw the almost completely used cigarette butt to the side, fishing a brand new one out from his pocket and lighting it ablaze. "My boyfriend is dealing with swelling of the brain, something so severe it could fucking kill him, and all I'm asking for is the tiniest sliver of fucking respect."

Zech stood to his feet, fishing the keys from his pocket and giving Awsten a small glance. "Well, you can't just sit outside until he wakes up." He twirled the keys round and round his finger, gesturing to his sleek black car. "How about you crash at my place? Because I know if Geoff found out I let you just sit in the heat, he'd beat my ass over and over."

The purple-haired boy only wanted to sleep. He wanted to sleep and never wake up, which as bad as it sounded, was the complete truth. He flicked the half finished cigarette to the curb and stomped it out with the heel of his military boots. "Why not? It's not like I have anything to lose now."