015.

The pair made it back just in time to watch Geoff's sister from the safety of the lightened lobby. "She's really good." Awsten mumbled as he watched quietly, his arms crossed as he leaned against the door gently. "When did she start dancing?"

"My mom put her in classes when she was three, something to keep her in while she came with me to psychologist appointments." Geoff no longer felt the need to censor his past from Awsten, as he knew he was the only person in town who actually honestly cared for him. "She's been stuck in it ever since, but I really hope she does like it."

The two watched as Geoff's sister did a series of turns before opening her arms out, ending the dance in a beautiful pose. Her caramel hair shimmered like glitter under the bright stage lights. The usually gloomy and sad eyes were now replaced with sparkling happy ones, causing both Geoff and Awsten to smile. "You know she looks just like you." Awsten remarked as he smiled over at Geoff, who made a playful face of disgust.

"I feel bad for her then, oh God!" Geoff covered his face as he erupted in giggles, causing Awsten to fall suit.

The purple-haired boy laid his head (hopefully) nonchalantly on Geoff's shoulder as the pair watched Amber and her friend's scamper off stage. "Who said it was a bad thing to be as perfect as you are?"

————

Today, Awsten felt sadness for the first time since he began talking to Geoff.

It was now Springbreak, and Geoff had told him before he left that him and his family were going to visit his mother's sister, which left Awsten alone with his own family.

His dad had come home from his post, which was an extremely rare occasion. It also meant Awsten had to choose from an extremely limited area of clothing. He had had clothes already separated for when his dad was in town, which was something both saddening and truthful.

He was dressed in a pair of ripped up skinny jeans, a brightly colored orange muscle tank top, and some beat up old military boots his dad let him have. His hair was kept hidden by his black beanie, as so not to set his dad off.

"Awsten, you haven't touched your food at all." His mother shattered his thoughts, sweeping him back into reality.

Picking his fork back up, Awsten pokes around his dinner plate and continued listening to the small conversations happening around the table. He kept an eye on the clock, trying to make sure he didn't miss seven-thirty. That was the only time this week Geoff promised they could call, and Awsten desperately needed a break from his family.

After a couple large bites of food, Awsten excused himself the table and bolted upstairs, longing for the beanie to be removed and to be back in something that felt like his own skin.

Throwing off his current outfit was almost like ripping off a painful bandaid. He replaced the garments with more comfortable ones, which consisted of a large oversized striped Supreme t-shirt and a pair of Nike shorts. Awsten slipped beneath his (sadly) black comforter, pulling it to his chin and dialing Geoff's phone number.

"I knew you wouldn't be a minute late." Geoff answered almost immediately with a chuckle,
making Awsten puff his cheeks in embarrassment. "California is boring, I miss Texas." The older boy droned as the sound of fabric moving filled the receiver. "Plus the bed my aunt is letting using is a twin-sized, and I am almost six foot."

The pair shared a good laugh at the image of the lanky boy curled up in a twin-sized mattress. "My bed's a California King, you can always share." Lately, Awsten was becoming extremely flirtatious, and it was no longer on purpose.

The idea of Geoff and him becoming a fling was long gone from Awsten's mind. It was no longer a daily task fighting for Geoff's attention, because obviously they were best friends. But recently, something was gnawing at Awsten, whether sexual frustration or love, or maybe even both honestly.

"Ha-ha, very cute Aws, but I bet my legs would still hang off of that." Geoff teased as he flipped around in the uncomfortable bed, trying his hardest to become comfortable. "Sometimes I wonder how much of your brain is made up of just flirtatious comments, Awsten Knight, I'm very curious now."

A giggle reverberated throughout Awsten's chest as he pulled the black comforter farther up to his chin. "Why don't you come back home and I'll give you a sneak peak?"

Geoff laughed, but slowly the conversation dipped into silence. It was never awkward silence between the pair, only comfortable quietness that blanketed the conversation. Awsten's eyes began to dip sleepily, but it wasn't until Geoff finally spoke up that his eyes repelled back open. "Awsie, can I be completely honest with you?"

"Of course, Gee. What're you thinking?" Awsten yawned sleepily and tossed over to his other side, burying his face into his feathered pillow as he listened to whatever Geoff had to say.

On the other end of the phone call, Geoff sighed and remained quiet for a while, before finally speaking up. "I—I don't want this to ruin what we've created, but I have to say it." Another blanket of thick tension and silence. "But—I think I'm falling for you, Awsten Knight."