Chapter 17

I wake up the next morning alone in the guest bed. Matt having left in the early morning hours. Letting out a huff i climb out of bed, quickly making it i head out of the room and down the hall to Matt's room. Opening the door i see he's thankfully not in there. I run to the closet to grab some clothes for the day.

I quickly dress in leggings, a black long sleeve tee and some running shoes Matt got me. I smile as i tie them remembering the day he got these for me. I was complaining about pink all day and how i hate that it's such a stereotypical girl color. And that's why i loved green so much, and that I'd never ever in my life wear pink. So my lovely mate goes out and buys me a pair of pale pink running shoes.

I've worn them everyday since he got them.

I finish getting ready and run down the stairs to meet the pack in the kitchen. When i enter everyone turns to look at me but no words are spoken. "Okay everyone! The witch will be here soon. So hurry and eat up! We have a lot of work to do to prepare for this war." I say and every one nods and goes back to eating. I grab an apple out of the fruit bowl on the counter, and a bottle of water from the fridge before exiting the kitchen not in the mood to really deal with anyone's questions about last night. 

"What time will she be here?" Matt's voice comes from behind me causing me to jump and drop my apple to the floor.

"She said first thing, so I'm assuming that means soon." I say unable to turn and look at him, knowing the look i will see on his face. Instead i bend down, collect my apple and keep my pace heading to the back yard.

Matt's POV

I want to chuckle at the fact that Ashton jumped so hard, too deep in her thoughts to even realize i had approached behind her. But now isn't the time for chuckles.

I watch in longing, sadness and the reminisce of anger as she walks out the back door and into the yard.  She's still keeping me Out, has that damn wall up and won't let me in no matter how hard i try. I know she's hiding something and my guess is that it's something that which told her last night.

More anger floods my system at the thought of what that which could've told my sweet mate to cause her to keep me out. To block me from her. Taking a few deep breaths i calm myself and walk to the back door, peering out i see Ashton doing so stretches. Limbering up for whatever this which has in store for us today.

"Alpha. The which is here." Tanner says through the pack link.

Follow her closely. Ashton may trust her but i sure as fuck don't." I tell him and shut him off.

I walk into the kitchen to see everyone cleaning up quickly obviously hearing of the witches arrival. "Okay everyone. We have a lot to learn from her, but at the same time keep on your toes. She is a witch and not to be trusted." I say in an angry tone and see some of the younger pups flinch away from me, fearing their alpha and not knowing me well enough to know I'm not mad at the. But for the tome being I cant care enough to comfort them. 

Taking another deep breath I crack my neck and walk into the back yard trying not to disturb Ash, but what I see stops me in my tracks. She's standing in the middle of the yard, holding her stomach, in what seems to be a loving and protective manor, her head turned up to the sky and the sunlight falling over her, giving her the most beautiful glow I've ever seen anyone have. She may only be in the beginning of her pregnancy with my pups but she already radiates with the love and affection only a mother can carry. 

Ashton's POV

I stop the stretching I was doing to prepare for Malakys arrival when a warm sun beam enters the middle of the yard. I walk to it basking in the warmth and beauty of it and hold onto my babies. The babies I will never watch grow up, the babies I will never watch find their mate, and shift for the first time, I will miss every major mile stone of their lives, but I will die to protect them which causes a sense of calm to wash over me. Making it seem a lot less scary.