Chapter XXI: Charming Words

Chapter Twenty-One: Charming Words.

I'm woken up by the insistent bright sunshine coming through the floor-to-ceiling windows in the living room. Throughout the night, our sleeping position seems to have shifted and I now lie on my back with half of Jake's body on top of me, his head resting on my chest and his arm over my waist. His long eyelashes shadow his cheeks and his chest slowly falls and rises as he breathes peacefully. We fell asleep, staring at the view in silence. I vaguely remember Jake's fingers running through my hair, his heartbeat sounding against my ear before I fell asleep. I'm not sure what time it is, but it seems to be early morning as the birds can be heard chirping and the noise of small traffic below is very faint. As I run my fingers through his hair -- now that he doesn't have the snapback on, I notice just how careless he has been with the length of his hair and I find myself wishing he keeps it this way just so I can continue to comb my fingers through the soft strands of light brown hair every day. Regardless of how comfortable I am despite our position, I need to return to my hotel room to take my meds and a shower. I texted Carter last night, letting him know I'd be spending the night here instead of the hotel room. He replied saying he expected that to be the outcome and that he will see me once I returned to the hotel. I kiss Jake's forehead and attempt to slowly get out of his embrace. His sleeping self notices the small movement and softly groans in protest before tightening his arms and moving his head further into my chest.

"Bunny, I need to leave." I whisper in a second attempt to get out of his cuddle.

He hums a denial. His leg also tightening over mine and locking it between his. Now, it's nearly impossible for me to get out of under him.

I laugh, trying to push him away. "Jake." His shoulders move back with my push but the rest of his body remains still, proving how weak my pushes are against his muscled body.

"Nooo.." He drags out. His voice still heavy with sleep.

"I need my meds or I'll turn crazy and break up with you times two," I joke.

He snuggles his head on my chest, rubbing his cheek on it before feeling comfortable enough. "It's too early, though."

I let my fingertips lightly touch his scalp as I run them back and forth through his hair. "For me to get crazy and break up with you or for me to leave?"

"Mmm..." He hums in thought, then replying, "Both."

I laugh. It's comforting to find humor on the thing that ultimately drove us apart. It shows and proves just how much the break helped. Maybe, we wouldn't be this comfortable if I hadn't taken time to myself. It reassures me that I made the right decision by letting us take a four-week break.

"You can come with me if you want." I try to persuade him.

"Or we can stay here and sleep a little bit more." He suggests, going against me.

I chuckle. "Jake, I really need to go back to the hotel." I say, attempting to push him away again. I fail. Again.

"Five more minutes," He murmurs against my chest.

"I can make you coffee in those five minutes." I offer in hopes of getting out of under him.

"No, we'll find a Starbucks drive-thru and buy it there. Now, shush." He closes his eyes, cuddling and pretending to return to his slumber.

"For God's sake, Jake." I say, but laugh at his child-like contradictory behavior.

I feel him smile against my chest in satisfaction at my reaction and lack of effort. He pears up. "Can I get a kiss?"

"Am I going to be set free?"

"That's a question not an answer. I'll answer you after you kiss me."