Chapter XIII: Sleeping Snaps

Chapter Thirteen: Sleeping Snaps.

Jake and I wake up early for our road trip back to New York. I haven't talked to Josh since Monday. I'm planning on texting him today and inviting him for a late lunch with Sara and me. It'll be the first time, they meet each other so I'm actually intrigued to see how Sara will react when she is challenged by someone who has her personality. I don't want to say I'm playing matchmaker but I kind of am. Sara has been played by this asshole for the last several months, going on and off. As her best friend, I think she deserves consistency in her love life. Josh seems like a nice guy so, why not try it with him.

As I wait for Jake to leave the bathroom, I take the opportunity to text Josh.

Me: Hey! Late lunch at Olive's?? 4:00pm today? Me and a friend...

Jake exits the bathroom as I send the text. I lock the screen and throw my phone to the side. I stand from the bed as Jake stands in front of me. "Let's go have breakfast with the monsters."

I chuckle but it's cut short when my phone pings.

Josh: Sure. See you later!!

I move my gaze from the phone screen to Jake's glare. "Who's Josh?"

"A friend."

"A friend?" He spits.

"Why do you say it like that?" I question. "As if... you're doubting me."

"I..." He tugs at his hair, his anger taking over him. A vein in his neck becomes prominent as he clenches his jaw. "How would you feel if that was Holly texting me?"

I flinch. "That was a low blow."

"How would you feel?" He repeats through gritted teeth.

"I would feel threatened just like you feel now but unlike you, I would trust you." I finish with a mildly raised voice, pushing him out of the way and leaving the room.

The fact that after almost six months of dating, Jake questions me and my intentions with him, makes me feel hurt and nearly heartbroken. We have less than a week back together from our break and things are already starting to fall apart, again. I don't blame him for targeting Josh as I threat because I also label every woman he knows as a threat. I go down the stairs and into the kitchen. Lizzie sits at the breakfast bar, next to Jen who feeds Maddie from her high chair.

"Sky!" Lizzie exclaims with her sippy cup on hand, spilling a couple drops of chocolate milk on the table. I smile at her, her excitement at this time of the day contagious.

"Lizzie, sit down, please." Jen commands before telling me, "Good morning. Ethan is making some French toast and there's coffee already brewed, if you'd like some."

I notice Ethan in front of the stove. He acknowledges me, muttering a quick good morning. I return it before replying to Jen, "Thanks but I'll skip the toast and just go with the coffee."

I walk across the kitchen bar. Ethan hands me a mug and I thank him. I'm serving myself coffee when Jen asks, "Where's Jake?"

I suddenly feel ashamed for fighting with Jake in their home. I doubt they heard us but it still makes me feel disappointed. "Um... he was in the bathroom when I came downstairs." I lie. I sweeten my coffee before walking to one of the glass windows in the living room. I stand in front of it, watching small flurries fall. I'm surprised by how fast the weather can change after having a mild warm weather yesterday. It just proves how everything is this world is uncontrolled; us, nature and life. My mind silences any noise surrounding me and a wave of unwanted thoughts crashes my subconscious, making me want to disappear. I force them out, knowing that if they continue I'll end up low in a few hours. I finish my coffee, still standing in front of the window. I'm brought back to reality when Lizzie nudges my thigh. I look down at her, forcing a small smile.