Chapter IV: The One That Got Away

Chapter Four: The One That Got Away.

He said he loves me.

After Jake spoke those words, I don't want to believe that we might be over. I want to trust him, believe him and tell him I love him too, but I'm so confused, hurt and angry that I don't know if any response I give him will be rational.

He sighs in defeat at my silence before looking at the ground, slightly shaking his head and leaving the room.

My heart aches even more at his departure. I fall to the marble floor after reaching the edge of the bed, leaning my back against as I cry.

Feeling a headache coming from all the crying, I decide to call Carter. As my older brother, he has always comforted me in situations when needed.

"Hello?" His voice sounds raspy, and I wouldn't be surprised if I just woke him up. It's Saturday, and he normally sleeps until four in the afternoon.

"Carter," my throat constricts, my voice breaking.

"Sky?" His voice sounds livelier, losing the sleepy haze. "What's wrong?"

I called Carter and my parents last night, letting them know I wouldn't be home for the weekend. Knowing that I'm away and calling him crying probably worries Carter over the situation more than he should.

"Jake and I... had... a fight," I say, trying to gain my composure.

I hear Carter's mattress squeak as he shifts in bed to dedicate his full attention to our conversation.

He sighs before asking, "Why?"

"Jake was in LA this week, working. He wasn't supposed to go back to New York until today but on Wednesday, he surprised me at work. He did all these nice things after he arrived. A few minutes ago, I found out he was out in a club with this gorgeous model while he was in LA. When I confronted him about the incident, he said his manager had organized it for publicity. There's this picture of them together. He's laughing as she touches him, not looking the slightest bit uncomfortable or guilty of the situation." I explain. "He wants me to believe him, but I don't know if I can... Not after this." My voice cracks again as the heartache increases by my last words.

"Has he ever given you a reason not to trust him, Sky?" Carter questions. "I know I don't know him the way you do, but you have to also think about the way he's feeling now. Did he do anything else to convince you?"

"He told me he loves me."

But at the moment, even that I'm starting to question when before this fight, I was so sure he did. A part of me feels like he said it to manipulate me into staying, but another part of me feels like he really means it.

"And I'm sure he does. As my little sister and as your protective older brother, you know I wouldn't tell you that if I wasn't sure. He's completely smitten over you, calling Mom and Dad to see if they trusted him enough to let him take their daughter away. I will admit, it was wrong of him not to tell you and let you find out yourself but, don't hold it against him and don't let this ruin your vacation. Trust me when I say he put a lot of effort into it." Carter tells me. He's always been this good with words.

"That was quite good," I lightly laugh, trying to lighten the conversation.

"Thank you," He laughs with me.

"You're quite possibly the best. I love you."

"I love you, too." We are about to hang up when Carter suddenly adds, "And, Sky? Forgive him. I wouldn't tell you to do so if I didn't believe he deserves it."