(23)White Knight

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

'Good gods, that can't mean anything good

'Good gods, that can't mean anything good...'

White Knight

I moved over towards the new king, my hands slightly shaking as I neared the large group of well-dressed gods

I quickly glanced over my shoulder in the direction Thanatos and Hypnos had disappeared. I hope they weren't having any trouble. I'm sure with Thanatos leading the way they'd be fine...

Apollo was quick to spot me approach, and even faster in snatching up the opportunity to be alone with me. Thanatos was nowhere in sight and I could see the familiar glint in the young king's eyes. I suppressed my natural urge to roll my eyes.

Apollo dismissed the rest of the gods around him, waving his hand in the air and dispersing the group of bootlickers with a swift dictatorship. I felt his eyes on my face; he was probably hoping I would look somewhat impressed.

I wasn't.

"My king..." I bowed; out of common-courtesy, not respect.

Apollo, however, didn't seem to think the reasoning behind it mattered; "Aurora, finally we get to have a chat. It's been too long."

I nodded, lifting my drink to my lips and muttered; "Not long enough..."

"Pardon me?" Apollo smiled charmingly, clearly not having heard what I'd said. I smiled widely and with so much falseness I thought it might start seeping out; "I said, I agree. How are you?"

Apollo grinned, happy by my sudden attention; "Very well, as you can imagine." His eyes didn't leave mine as he gestured to the large, lavish party around him. My smile turned thin. "And how are you, dear? Still enjoying the dreary Underworld?"

"I am, actually. It's unbelievably stunning." I smiled brightly, hoping it would irk him. It did.

"Yes..." He drawled; "Unbelievable."

I ignored his sarcasm; "So, as king are there any new laws I should be careful of or do you plan on taking some time to adjust first?"

Apollo looked genuinely surprised by my unexpected interest in him. If I hadn't been looking at him over the rim of my cup, I would've missed his eyes skimming down to my cleavage. But I didn't miss it. I bit my tongue.