Start of the Trials

"So, my boy, you're telling us that the demigods have to go through some tests to decide who is going to be guarding the Olympians?" Chiron asked.

Percy nodded. "And it would be best done in New Rome. They have the Field of Mars, with enough space for me to set up what I need to. Plus they have most of what I need there already. They won't like it...the goal is to get to me, but they will only come in groups of fourteen. I want to see their teamwork and effort. Only those that you and Lupa deem worthy will be allowed to make a team.

"That way we can weed out those we know aren't ready for that kind of commitment and struggle. And I can arrange the transport from here to there for those you believe can do it."

Chiron nodded. The meeting with the councilors already over. Many had been upset with Percy's return, but none dared to do anything, as he did not look the same. The tattoos adorning his body, the cold glare, and the overall dark aura surrounding him gave off the impression that he wouldn't hesitate to crush anyone who dared question him.

"Alright. I know the seven would make great candidates, or, what's left of them. Obviously Thalia and Nico, but Thalia would never leave Artemis. From what I could see, even the Praetor, Reyna, would do well. I would say Lou Ellen, the Stolls, Clarrise, and Will Solace."

"Hmm, those will do. I think I've already decided on who it'll be. But they will have to prove it. Send those, minus Annabeth. As well as the other councilors. Replace Annabeth with one of her siblings. I won't be working with someone who betrayed me so easily. It will cause lack of cohesion."

Chiron nodded, "Thalia's pine tree?"

Percy nodded and left. About twenty minutes later, the group Chiron had selected met Percy at the top of Half-Blood Hill. Just as he was going to explain everything to them, Annabeth came running up.

"What do you mean, you can't accept me into the trials?!" she yelled.

"Leave, now, I have no desire to deal with you. Not now, not ever. You made your bed, now you have to lie in it. You will not be on any team I'm a part of, let alone one I have to lead. You will only cause issues, Chase. You would undermine my authority and I have no need for that." He grabbed the proffered hands of those around him, other than her, and they all disappeared into mist.

- - -

Field of Mars

"Everyone who is participating, gather around! I'll form a fourteen man team, just to show you how things are done, then the rest of you will form your own and take turns assaulting my position. The team that does the best will be tested individually. Can I get Jason, Nico, Will, Piper, Hazel, Frank, Clarrise, Lou Ellen, the Stolls, Reyna, Gwen, Dakota, and Katie. They will be your demonstration group. Come at me whenever you're ready."

Percy was perched up on the ramparts of fortress. It was clear that he was at the advantage here. The water cannons were still in place, he had height, and he was clearly a lot stronger now than before. And even then he out classed all but Jason easily, and was still stronger than him in the end. This would no doubt be a hard battle.

Reyna looked over the situation carefully. "He doesn't expect us to win at all."

Jason looked at her questioningly. "I mean, he already knows our strengths and weaknesses. He knows he's far stronger than we are, even working together. He just wants to see how far we can push each other to go. Like he said, team work."

Jason nodded. He'd deduced something similar and had no intentions of giving up. "If only that we're the only thing," Nico muttered.

"What do you mean by that?" Hazel asked.

"Just a hunch I have. I've known Percy for a long time. He's being dramatic for a reason. But we should bite, just to see what it is." Clarrise nodded in agreement. "Then lets go."

- - -

Every group failed. Not one of them was able to land a blow on Percy. Most were knocked down in the first twenty seconds, a lot in the first ten. The only group that lasted longer than that was the "demonstration" group. They lasted a solid five minutes against Percy. Most the other people knew they were among the strongest of the demigods.

Percy grinned. He had thought they would be a great team. Something none of the other groups picked up on was that he left specific openings to get close to him in his defenses that required team work to get at. The group he wanted had easily picked up on that and worked with it, even though they still didn't hit him.