3. Parkland

Chapter Three 

I don’t remember the last time I was here. This parkland holds so many fond and not so fond moments for me. I remember this place as my getaway and my serenity. A place much like my career – something that can take you away from what is reality and all you can do is just relax and not think about the other word. Just be completely in your element.

As harry and I get out of the car I notice him taking his flannel shirt off. Not that I mind at all but its crazy to me how a human can be so free and naked and couldn’t really give a shit who’s there. I admire that. He ties it around his jeans; only Harry would wear jeans to a beach.

“It’s like 27 degrees Hun, aren’t you hot” I say laughing at his odd choice in attire for the beach.

“Yeah yeah, ha-ha shut up” he laughs fixing the fedora on his head.

As we finish laughing as ask him to follow me and he does, no argument. We walk down to the beach through the bush taking us a solid ten minutes to get here. A couple of his security guards following behind. I look back to check that all is going well and I can see Harry’s taking photos or our surrounding, how sweet.

“You like it here?” I ask as we walk down the metal stairs that lead to the beach.

“I really do, Kat,” he says smiling.

“Alright well, go crazy just be careful don’t run into the beach just…” I say as I see harry running into the surf. I know for a fact its blue bottle season so at the moment I hope he doesn’t get stung. 

As I watch him float in the water still in his jeans, his flannel, hat and sunnies lying on the sand I notice that there are blue bottles on the sand around me. Not good. The amazing part about this beach is that it is part fresh water lake and salt-water beach. The wind is cool, and is giving me Goosebumps as I miss coming here on afternoons and mornings on my day offs and just soaking up the sun and what it means to be away from reception and technology.

“What the fuck! Oughh!” shit, harry got stung.

“Harry, I think you got stung by a blue bottle,” I yell back noticing he’s running out of the water. I can see it’s wrapped around his fore arm and he can’t get it off because touching it is stinging his other hand. Never seen harry in agony, don’t think I want to again. He’s walking towards me holding his arm out asking what needs to be done and I plead him to just sit down for a second. I can see his eyes widen as I pick it up by the bottle bit pulling the burning tentacles off his arm and pouring excessive amounts of ice water I took with me onto his arm. And a little bit on m fingers that now sting a little.

“Thank you” harry says, relieved he’s not being burned.

“Its okay, I know how it feels I’ve been there” Remembering the time I two blue bottles wrapped around my neck here and had to go to the emergency room. Yeah thinking back on it now, why on earth did I think it was a good idea taking Harry here… to kill him! So stupid of me.

“I really appreciate you taking me here, its serene and I love it” he says looking straight into my eyes after noticing the argument I was having in my head of taking him here. I nod.

“No really Kat, this is great. It’s hard to find places these days that I can go to without having people photograph me and mob me,” he laughs a little.

“I’m sorry I should have told you not to run in,” I say still looking down into my hands brushing over the sting marks on my right hand. What happened now was something I didn’t expect – Harry pulls my chin up to look at him, centimeters from his face with his cool apple bumble gum breath blowing onto my lips; “Kat, despite the sting, this has been the best day in a long time” as I look him in they eyes and notice just how close we are, his lips almost touching mine, Its like he was moving closer as he spoke – he immediately drops his grip from my chin and looks out onto the water. What the fuck just happened, I mean I’m not a swearer but – what the fuck just happened.