Twelve

"What the hell do you mean it isn't wise!?" Dan shouted, trying his hardest not to lash out and actually hit one of the bastards in front of him. His grip on on Phil's hand tightened, and he heard Phil whimper in pain.

  "Daniel, you need to calm-"

  "So help me, if you say I need to calm down, I'll......" He trailed off, because really, what could he possibly say that would threaten the Highers? They were pretty much invincible, and could probably kill Dan with a snap of their fingers before he could even graze their cloaks with his finger tips.

  "Just try and understand where we're coming from." One of them said, bringing Dan out of his murderous thoughts.

  "Understand?" He said, and laughed heartlessly. "Just earlier today, you go about telling me that I need to 'do what's right' and 'follow my heart' and I do exactly that. You told me, if I loved Phil enough, I would do whatever it takes to have him by my side. I did what you wanted, and what he wanted! And now you're telling me it was all a waste of time? There was no point in doing all of this, becauss I would've been shot down anyway! So no, I'm not just gonna fucking understand! Because this......its tearing me apart."

  He was angry, but even so tears were slowly falling down his face. He was breathing hard after ranting like that, and he scrubbed his face angrily, trying to dry his cheeks.

  What the hell was wrong with these sick, twisted 'Highers'? Did they get off on making people miserable? They didn't seem too fazed by Dan's rage and misery. They were as emotionless as ever, standing there and not saying anything, and it only pissed Dan off more than he was already. Christ, he couldn't deal with them right now.

  "Well, I hope you had fun playing your little game with my emotions, but I'm leaving." Hs said, and without another word, he turned and stomped out of the dark room, pulling a silent Phil along with him.

  He rushed down the empty corridor, his blood rushing through his ears and his temper starting rise, until he wouldn't be able to control it. He was still conciously aware of Phil, who still hadn't said anything, but he didn't pay him too much attention. His thoughts were going crazy, swirling around his head until he thought he would go insane.

  How could they do this? For just a moment, Dan had thought that maybe the Highers weren't such bad people after all. He had been so set on the thought that they would just instantly accept Phil into their world. He should have known that it was too good to be true. They were cruel, heartless, they didn't even deserve to be called 'people'. They had built him up, so high, and then they'd just wrecked him completely. Did they do it on purpose? Just for the kicks? God, he hated them, he wanted to kill them.

  His rage induced thinking was cut short as he heard Phil cry out from behind him. Dan realized that he was still holding onto Phil's wrist tightly, pulling him down the halls without much thought to being gentle.

  "Are you alright?" Dan asked, through clenched teeth because he was still seeing red. He must have sounded a bit hostile though, because Phil cringed slightly, and Dan calmed down a bit after that, because he never, ever wanted to see Phil scared, especially by him.

  "Are you really asking me that?" Phil said, snorting humorlessly. Dan felt stupid, because of course he wasn't okay. Phil had basically been promised a new life, without his indifferent foster family, and with Dan, and in the next twenty minutes, he'd been rejected.

  "Do you hate me?" Dan asked hesitantly.

  "Why on earth would I hate you?" Phil asked, staring at him in disbelief.

  "I just....I sort of promised you that you would be accepted. And you weren't. I broke my promise to keep you safe."

  "You never promised me that"

  "Not out loud."

  And it was true, as soon as Dan had decided to ask Phil about becoming a Reaper, he's made a promise to himself that, no matter the consequences, he would do whatever it took to keep Phil safe and happy. And he was breaking those promises, both at the same time. 

  Phil smiled at him sadly, and suddenly, tears were forming in his blue eyes and slowly treking down his face, and it broke Dan's heart to see him like this. And it was all his fault. But he didn't have time to dwell on that thought because Phil had wrapped his skinny arms around Dan's waist and buried his head into Dan's shoulder, sobbing loudly. And they stayed like that for a while, Dan pulling the crying boy closer and kissing his hair gently.

  "What are we going to do, Dan?" Phil asked, his voice scratchy and low from crying.

  Dan had been silently crying as well, and he sniffed.

  "I have no idea, Phil."

                                                               *****************************************

  a/n: this one is way too short, don't even lie. I just wanted to upload, idk. i'm kinda running low in ideas, suggestions? always welcome