Grim Reaper (Phan fiction)

Dan stood just outside the hospital window, looking in at the sleeping women. This was his final job for the night, and he wanted to hurry and get it over with, he was exhausted.

  The women was in the critical condition, and she was hooked up to all kind of machines that beeped and flashed as they worked to keep her alive. Dan guessed that she had a few hours left, at most. Unless she was 'worthy'.

  He pulled out the women's file, that was filled with all of the good and bad things she had done in her life. He sat for a minute, quickly skimming through the pages.

  The lady was called Elizabeth, and in her twenty five years, she'd done many things considered bad.

  Taking money from a fundraiser? Horrible, really. Cheating on her boyfriend? Naughty girl. Dan chuckled at his own thoughts as he continued evaluating. Sometimes he felt like Santa Claus, deciding who was naughty or nice.

  Still, Elizabeth had also done any good things in her short time, and they definitely outweighed the bad. So, with a sigh, Dan rushes through the window, placed his hands on the women's cheek and let life flow through his fingers and into her body. She gasped, and the machines around her went crazy, beeping and flashing wildly.

  Dan jumped through the open window again, and when he turned around, he saw nurses and doctors rushing into the room. He smiled slightly, then disappeared completely into the dark.

                  **************

  Dan was furious as he arrived back at HQ. His friend PJ had just told him that the Highers had wanted to see him, for an extended job. Those were usually reserved for people lower down on the hierarchy scale, and he really didn't want to do it.

  Extended jobs were jobs that required a kind of stake out. The Reaper would have to watch their subject for about a week before they made their decision, and they were usually for Reapers in training.

  He was also mad because tomorrow was his day off, and that was when this supposed job was suppose to start.

  He pushed open the doors that led into the Highers chambers and stood before them, head lowered. Even though they wore black robes that covered their faces, you still weren't supposed to look at them directly. It was a sign of respect.

  "You wanted to see me, Highers?" Dan said, his teeth clenched. He was trying not to let his irritation show, but it was pretty hard. He had anger problems, and everyone knew it. The only ones who put up with his behavior were the Highers and PJ, his only friend.

  "Daniel, yes." the figure in the middle spoke, his voice booming throughout the chamber loudly. "We have a special job request for you. I'm sure you've heard of it by now, yes?"

  "Of course." he replied. "The others do talk." And it was true, especially about him. Any exciting news about anything was sure to spread quickly through HQ.

  "Yes, well, this subject is a very special case and is an extended job, and we thought only you would be suitable for it."

  "But why?" Dan exploded, almost looking up, but quickly remembering his place. "Those jobs are for the lower ranked Reapers, not people like me. I'm way too practiced to have this job."

  "He's an In Between, Daniel."

  Dan froze at these words, his eyes wide and his breath going fast.

  "What?" he said quietly.

  "This subject is an In Between, and you were the only person we thought would be able to judge him  correctly."

  An In Between was a very special case for Reapers. They had done equal amounts of good and bad deeds, making them almost impossible to judge. No Reaper had had to face one in the last 100 decades, they were considered much too difficult. So why were they choosing Dan to judge this one?

  "No offense to your decision, Highers, but I really don't think that I'm cut out for that."

  "Daniel Howell, you will do this job and that is an order." the middle Higher stated, and Dan flinched at his angry tone.

  "Yes, Higher." he said dejectedly.

  "Now, here is his file, and you will start tomorrow. Goodnight, Daniel."

  Dan bowed, taking the thick file and exiting the chamber quickly. Out in the hallway, he yelled and punched the wall next to him, which wasn't a good idea, because his hand started bleeding. He cursed and started walking to his personal chamber.

  Why the hell had they chosen him, of all people, to handle this job? He knew that he wouldn't be able to handle it, it was a goddamn In Between! But he had no choice, so he just sucked it up and dealt with it.

  Once in his room, Dan changed from his work clothes into some sweats, then sat on his bed and picked up the file. Might as well start his research.

  The boy's name was Phillip Lester, and he was 17, not much younger than Dan himself. Just as the Highers had stated, the good and bad we're equally numbered, and Dan was getting a headache already trying to decide which was more valuable.

  With a groan if frustration, Dan closed the file and threw it on the floor. He was too tired to keep going, he'd just wait till tomorrow to worry about it.

  As he closed his eyes, his thoughts began to calm down, and he fell asleep, thinking about how the hell he was going to approach this subject.