Thirteen

Special thanks to leahgrace_xo for giving me the idea how to end this story. I'm gonna do a sequel, I think.......mysterious......

                                       ******************************

  "So what happened?" PJ asked them, as they walked into his bedroom. He was (surprisingly) alone, Chris nowhere in sight, and Dan was secretly glad, because he barely knew the boy, and didn't really feel like talking about his personal problems with him.

  Phil still had tears falling from his eyes, quietly crying and clutching Dan's arm tightly.

  "What do you think happened?" Dan said, a lot harsher than he intended, but he didn't apologize, he was too strung out right now. PJ looked at him, but didn't say anything. Instead, he  got up and hugged Dan tightly.

  "I'm sorry, mate." He said softly, and that was all it took for Dan to break down completely, burying his head inot PJs shoulder and sobbing his heart out.

  It just wasn't fair, any of it. Dan had spent his goddamn life doing everything that he was told, by the Highers and other, older Reapers. He'd never complained, at least not out loud. And the one time that he wanted something, wanted it so bad, it was denied of him. He was pissed, angrier than he could ever remember being, but he let it all out by crying onto his best friends shoulder, still clutching Phil's hand.

  "What are we going to do?" He asked miserably, sniffing loudly and most likely getting snot all over Peejs shirt.

  "I don't know, Dan. I've never had to deal with something like this." PJ said, and Dan pushed him away, suddenly angry all over again.

  "Well of course not." He said. "Its not like you and Chris have any problems, being together. You guys can do whatever the fuck you guys want, while I have to deal with the messed up love life!"

  And he knew that it was the most horrible and stupid thing he could ever say, but it was way too late to take it back. He heard Phil whimper beside him, and turned to apologize, but Phil pulled his hand from Dan's grasp and looked at the floor.

  "Phil, I-"

  "No. Don't." Phil interrupted him, looking up, and Dan hated himself because those blue eyes he loved so much were once again, filled with hurt and a bit of anger, and it was once again caused by Dan himself.

  Phil took a deep, shaky breath and left, slamming the door to PJs room and leaving Dan staring after him. Dan would have just left him alone to cool off, but he knew that Phil would most likely get lost in the twisting halls of Headquarters, so he followed him.

  What the hell had he been thinking, saying something like that? he knew how it was going to sound, before he'd even said it, but he'd gone and done it anyway. He just always screwed everything up, in the worst, and he hoped to God that they would work it out, because Christ, Dan knew he wouldn't be anything without Phil.

  As he stepped out into the hallway, he saw that Phil had already gotten pretty far, most likely because he was practically jogging, and Dan ran to catch up, ignoring the burning in his legs and his aching lungs.

  "Phil, please stop!" Dan shouted, as be finally reached the boy and grabbed his arm, pulling him back.

  "What do you want from me, Dan?" Phil asked, breathing heavily as he stepped close, bringing his face close to Dan's. He was obviously pissed off, but also sad and hurt, and it made Dan want to cry, because he had done this, again.