Eight

Needless to say, the journey back to Dan's house was silent and very uncomfortable. Dan was driving, but that didn't stop him from constantly glancing at the boy next to him. Phil looked out the window the entire time, his chin resting in his hand and his gaze turned to the sky. Dan wondered what he was thinking about, but decided not to ask since Phil was most likely still angry at him.

Dan had no idea what the hell he was going to say, he didn't exactly plan this. It was a stupid idea, really, because if he did tell Phil the entire truth, there was no doubt that both of them would be in trouble. And not just stupid, first world, 'oh my god, my parents hate me' trouble. They were talking life or death, planet earth in danger trouble, and it would all be Dan's fault, for falling in fucking love.

They finally pulled up in front of the Dan's house, but instead of getting out, they just sat there in silence. They didn't even look at each other, their gazes trained on some object in the distance. It was Phil that broke the tense silence.

"Dan, I'm really confused." He said quietly. He was looking at his lap now, twisting his fingers together nervously and biting his lip. Even in this tense situation, Dan had to admit that the boy was sexy.

Get your head out of the gutter, Daniel! He thought.

"I know, Phil, hell, I'm confused myself. About everything. And I don't even know how to explain this to you without you thinking I'm crazy." He laughed bitterly and shook his head. "This is a mess."

"Let's just.... go inside, okay? And we'll go from there." Phil said, and Dan nodded. They stepped out of the car and headed up to the house, and Dan unlocked the door, letting them inside. The lights were off, so Dan flipped them on as they walked through.

"So you, uh...... want something to drink or anything?" Dan asked.

"What I want is an explanation." Phil replied, crossing his arms over his chest and glaring at Dan. His blue eyes flashed angrily, and Dan was surprised at this change in mood. He was usually pretty quiet and laid back, but this version of Phil was the exact opposite. It made Dan wonder what this dominant side of Phil would be like in the bedroom.... and that, of course, led to thoughts of Phil in bed period, and Dan had to pinch himself to get them out of his head. This was not the time or the place.

He was starting to second guess this; he really didn't think that Phil would understand, let alone believe him. But he'd promised, and he really didn't want to break Phil anymore than he already had.

"You have to promise me something." Dan said.

"You've got to be kidding me." Phil snorted.

"Please, just hear me out." Dan pleaded, and Phil sighed, motioning for him to continue. "Okay, promise you won't laugh or call me crazy." Phil looked at him, confused. "Just promise."

"Okay, okay, I promise. Now tell me what's been going on all day."

This was going to be hard, Dan already knew, but he had to at least try. Or this would all have been for nothing.

"Okay. I have no idea how to start..... I'm, have you ever heard of Reapers?"

Phil stared at him, his expression blank. "You mean those things that wear the black cloaks and carry the scythes? That go around killing people." He laughed and shook his head. "What the hell kind of bull crap are you trying to pull on me, Dan?"

"Just listen. Okay, first of all, we don't wear cloaks and carry scythes, and-"

"Are you seriously trying to tell me that you're a fucking Reaper, Dan? Do you actually think I'm supposed to believe this?"