Seven

This was honestly the most horrendous day that Dan had ever had to live through. Including the day him and PJ had both gotten poison ivy and pink eye from swimming in some disease infested lake.

  Dan was nauseous all through English lesson, and he didn't pay attention to a single word the teacher said. He kept glancing over at Phil, who's eyes were practically glued to the desk. He wanted so badly to just turn and apologize to Phil, to explain to him what was going on and why he was doing this. But that would ruin everything, so Dan just kept quiet and doodled aimlessly in his open notebook. When the bell rang at the end of the lesson, Dan jumped out of his seat, hurriedly stuffing his things onto his bag so he didn't have to face Phil. But just as he was about to leave, Phil grabbed his arm and turned him around so that they were facing each other.

  "What's your problem today?" he asked, his blue eyes full of confusion and hurt.

  "What do you mean?" Dan asked. He really didn't want to have to deal with it right now, he just wanted to get through the day without any drama.

  "You're acting really weird. I mean, yesterday you were flirting with me and stuff, and then today, you don't even look at me. What's up?"

  "I don't have time for this, Phil, I don't want to be late for class." he pulled away and started walking down the hall, but Phil caught up to him.

  "You mean the class that we share? And sit next to each other in? Like all our classes?" Phil questioned. Dan remained silent.

  They reached the door of their classroom, and Phil gave up on trying to talk to Dan, instead pushing past him and heading to the back seat. Dan silently followed, taking his seat next to Phil.

  That lesson was the same as English, Dan not paying attention and drawing. It's not like he was going to be there much longer anyway, he didn't care about failing or getting in trouble. It'd probably help with trying to avoid Phil, actually.

  In his head, Dan had thought that maybe Phil would actually understand  and just go along with his behavior. Of course, that was stupid. Who the hell would just go along with this? Phil was right, yesterday, Dan had been a friend, talking and laughing, even flirting. And then the next day, he just goes and ignores him, not even looking at him? He had every right to be mad, sad, hurt. And he probably was, but he was also concerned about Dan, if something was wrong. And Dan was being an ass hole, ignoring that too.

  And no matter how much he tried to play it off, saying that it was for the job, he knew that he didn't have to be so extreme about it. And it wasn't even working. Because no matter if he'd decided to continue this or go back to being normal, how he felt about the blue eyed boy wasn't going to change. Not in the slightest.

  Dan looked over at Phil. His head was bent over his book, reading along to whatever the teacher was going on about. His eyes squinted in concentration and his tongue poked slightly out of his mouth, and Dan continued staring at him. He seriously was attractive, it always struck Dan at random moments, this fact. It was a surprise that he didn't already have a girlfriend or boyfriend, but maybe it was because Dan had a huge crush on him and was the only one who could see how beautiful he really was.

  Just then, Phil looked up and met Dan's gaze, and they stared at one another. Dan didn't want to look away, he wanted them to stay like that all day. But he finally relented and looked back at his notebook, blushing slightly. He heard Phil sigh and do the same.

  His thoughts were all over the place, his mind filled with Phil, the Highers, his Reaper status. He tried to quiet his brain, writing in his notebook randomly.

  Phil Lester. Phil Howell. Dan Lester. Daniel James Lester.....

  He needed help.

                                             ***************