Two

The next morning, Dan was irritated once again, and he had barely woken up. In the last half hour, he'd tripped getting out of bed over that stupid file, crashed his toe against the door jamb, and slipped getting out of the shower. Yeah, this was gonna be a good day.

  After burning his fingers while flat ironing his hair, Dan left his room and stomped into the Hall, where all the Reapers ate their meals. He saw PJ sitting in the back, so he headed over their, not even bothering to get any food. PJ looked up as he sat down.

  "You okay there, Dan? Looks like someone pissed in your cornflakes." He started laughing, but stopped when Dan glared at him.

  "It's this stupid extended job the Highers gave me." he grumbled, reaching over and grabbing a slice of toast off of Peejs plate.

  "Hey, it can't be that horrible. You'll live through the shame."

  "I don't care about the shame, Peej. This case, he's a fucking In  Between." PJs face paled slightly at that, not laughing anymore.

  "Oh. Sorry, didn't know."

  Dan laughed grimly, and as he did, he felt someone tap his shoulder. He turned and saw that it was Chris Kendall, blushing and looking at his feet. He was a rank below Dan and PJ, but he was also very good in his department.

  "Uh, Daniel?" he said quietly, looking at his feet nervously.

  "Just Dan."

  "Oh, um, Dan. The Highers said that they wanted you to get started on your job as soon as possible." He coughed awkwardly, then turned to leave, his face still red.

  Dan shook his head and turned back to the table. He saw that PJ was staring after the boy who had just left, a thoughtful expression on his face.

  "Someone's got a crush, do they?" Dan said teasingly. PJ looked at him, and flushed then looked down at the table top.

  "Shut up. I don't." Dan knew that Peej was bisexual, ever since they were fourteen. He'd never tried anything on Dan, which was something that Dan was a bit nervous about when he first found out.

  "So you were just, 'studying' Mr. Kendall's arse oh so intensely for what, research?" Dan laughed as PJ threw his fork at him.

  Dan and PJ had always been best friends, for as long as they could remember. Their mothers had put them together constantly, and they just clicked. They went to each other for everything, advice about life, girls, or just to hang out when they were bored.

  Truth was, Dan didn't have anybody else to go to. Because of Dan's temper, he wasn't the most popular amongst the other Reapers, and PJ was one of the few who put up with it. And Dan was glad that he had, because if not, he'd just be some loner kid with anger issues.

  "I'd better leave, Peej, I want to get this job over and done with as soon as possible." Dan said a few minutes later. PJ nodded, and Dan stood up from the table, heading to the doors.

"Don't get too saucy with Kendall while I'm gone!" he shouted last minute.

  "Shut it!" PJ shouted back. He looked over to where Chris sat, making sure he hadn't heard. Dan laughed again and walked out, and as he did, he felt his mood automatically drop at the thought of this stupid job.

  This was going to suck.

                 ***************

  During an extended job, the Reaper usual had to become apart of everyday life, in order to get closer to their subject. They had to 'blend in' with the other humans, so that they wouldn't have to sneak around and risk the consequences of being known as a stalker.

  This Phillip, or Phil, was 17 years old, 3 years younger than Dan, so he was still in high school, a junior. And because Dan looked way younger than his age, he would fit the part perfectly. He didn't like the idea of having to go to school and deal with the ignorance of teenagers, their hormones raging and shit, but he had no choice. This really wasn't going to mix well with his temper.

  The school that he was to attend, East Jefferson, was on break and didn't start up again till tomorrow, so Dan spent the day getting registered and stuff, making sure he had all the same classes as Phil.

1. English 3

2. Honors Science

3. Honors World Studies

4. Advanced Maths

5. Lunch

6. Study Hall

7. Gym

8. Art

  Jesus, the guy was some kind of genius, it seemed, even Dan didn't know what these classes were like. At least he had an art class. Dan had always had a thing for drawing and stuff like that, and he was sure he would excel at this art class.

  Another part of this job was having a 'family' so that people wouldn't be suspicious because he lived by himself. Two older Reapers would play his parents, because his real parents were far too busy to do it.

  After that, there wasn't much else to do except get settled in the house that had been provided. Dan had stripped his room back at HQ, since he would be spending most of his time here anyways.

  He spent the rest if the day making his bed up, hanging up posters and placing smaller objects around the room, on his desk and bookshelf. He tried to get the room to resemble his chambers back in HQ as much as possible, but it was bit hard because his room was a lot larger than this one.

  Once done, Dan collapsed on the bed, tired as hell. Tomorrow was the day it all started, and Dan needed to be as alert as possible to take accurate notes on the In Between. So, climbing under his duvet, Dan happily closed his eyes and drifted off, not quite sure what the next day would bring. He just hoped he didn't punch anyone in the face.