fourteen

The days that followed were lethargic.

My mind continuously swirled around thoughts of Luke and how exciting everything felt when I was with him.

I had never been exposed to such a life of living. My usual routine became a beige in the color wheel of Luke's life.

I constantly wondered what he had been up to.

I spent my time at work creating new scenarios in my head of what he could possibly be doing in that very moment. Fighting? Sky-diving? Getting a tattoo? The possibilities were endless, and I would catch myself obsessing over the many different people that Luke could be.

How could know so little about a person but feel like you know so much?

The autumn air of October began to turn into the usual November chill, as I clutched my jacket closer to my body, a cold wind thrusting past my face.

I glared into the windows of shops as I walked past them, attempting to distract myself from the frostbite nipping at my skin.

In a sweets shop that I had never thought twice of was busy with people, and I recognized a strong back, clad in an ivory sweater.

I excused myself through the crowd, calling him from behind.

"Ashton!"

He turned and grinned at me, two small indents forming at the corners of his mouth. "Eloise! How are you?"

"I'm not bad," I said, dryly. I wasn't bad, but I was bored. "How about you? The last time I saw you, you weren't feeling the best."

"Oh goodness," He laughed, reaching his arm to his neck. "Sorry you had to see that."

"We've all been there," I soothed, feeling guilty for embarrassing him.

"I'm great, though." He cheered.

Ashton seemed to be the type of person that would always say he was okay, even if the world was crumbling at his feet.

"Hey! I'm headed to a get together, would you like to come?"

"Yes!" I jumped, my excitement spilling more than I intended it to.

Ever since I spent my time around Luke, I had been searching for that feeling that I witnessed, the feeling of being truly alive.

"I've just come to grab a cake," Ashton held out the pastry for me to see, it was pink and full of glitter. "It's for my little sister."

"How old is she?" I asked instinctively, as we started out the door and back onto the frosted sidewalk.

"She's 11, but her mouth is 17." He laughed fondly.

"Is it for her birthday?" I asked, referring to the cake.

"I guess," Ashton said, a hopeful grin slowly diminishing on his tanned face. "I'm not allowed to go to the party."

"Why?"

I was glad Ashton was so easy to get to, unlike Luke, who sheltered himself from every question I asked.

"My family and I just aren't on the best of terms right now," He sighed. "But it'll work out."

"I hope so." I said, thinking of him crying, intoxicated, on the bathroom floor.

"I miss them," He said, and I could hear the disparity in his voice.

"They'll come around," I assured. "People who love you will always come back."

"Yeah," He murmured, sadly.

"I'm sure she wishes you could be there." I told him, trying to ligten his mood.

He smiled sympatheticl. "Oh, I know."

We arrived at a duplex, the door on the left differing astronomically from the right. The door on the left, the one that Ashton had knocked on, was old, and filled with dents.

The door swung open with a loud creaking noise, and in the doorway stood a tall man with dark hair that fell to his waist.

"Can I help you?" The man asked, tilting his chin upward to reveal his sharp jawline.

"Yeah, Fuck you." Ashton shouted, and in what seemed to be like a cartoon-like motion, Ashton launched the pink pastry at the man's face.

"What the fuck?" The man roared, pink icing smearing all over his face, hair, and dripping down his shirt.

He immediately launched himself at Ashton, causing Ashton to run in the opposite direction that we came.

"Eloise! C'mon!" He shouted goofily, as I took off after him, although he was much faster and in shape than I was.

"Fight like a man, you bastard!" The man shouted, continuing to chase Ashton through alleys.

Ashton reached a familiar street, then stopped at a doorstep, knocking on the door viciously.

"What the hell?"

In the doorway stood Luke, dressed in a tight, black t shirt and jeans to match. His hair sat in a tossled mess, and I noticed a blonde beard beginning to grow out of his chin.

"Luke-"

"What the hell is this?" The cake-covered man said, catching his breath.

"Just leave, okay?" Luke spat, not showing an inch of fear.

"This asshole shoved a cake right in-"

"Just leave," Luke repeated, stepping out of the doorway and approaching the man. "Okay?"

"Who the hell are you?" The man scoffed, pushing Luke's chest.

"Leave," Luke coughed, holding his head high, and then grabbing the shirt of the man. "Before things get ugly."

Without backing down, the man quickly held up his fist, throwing it at Luke's face.

Before I could wince, no friction was created between his fist and Luke's face, only Luke wrapping his palm around it, stopping the punch.

"I said fuck off." He said, clenching his teeth, and tightening his grip around the long haired man's fist.

In one swift motion, the man pulled his hand back, and turned around, walking away.

"Listen, Luke-"

"Ash, c'mon mate," Luke sighed, running a hand through his mess of curls. "I can't keep saving your ass like that."

"I know, but-"

"If it has to do with Whitney, I don't want to fucking know." Luke scoffed, huffing in anger.

Ashton opened his mouth to speak, but then decided against it, closing his mouth into a thin line.

"Ellie, I need to talk to you." Luke spoke, each word after the name he had called me blurring together.

"Don't call me-"

"Yeah, yeah," He tossed his eyes. "Just come in, would you?"

I nodded sharply, following the broad back ahead of me into the house, footsteps echoing behind me.

Luke glanced back to see that Ashton was following us into the house, and continued into his bedroom, shutting the door swiftly after I entered.

Before he spoke he licked his lips instinctively, nervously. "Listen,"

"I know I've said before that we are definitely not friends."

My stomach twisted slightly, as I didn't want to admit that my feelings were slightly hurt.

"But how about business partners?"

.

.

.

GUYS IM sry IT TOOK SOS LONG FOR ME TO UPDATE AND IM SRY THIS CHAPTER WAS UNEVENTFUL BUT I NEEDED IT FOR THE NEXT ONE TO MAKE SENSE I HOPE EVERYONE IS HAVING A GREAT HOLIDAY ILY