eight

1143 N. Watergate St.

I stood in front of the door, the glass display of punching bags directly left to it.

I thought about what possibly would be my reasoning for going inside, but before making up my mind I swung open the door, the noise of leather pounding on leather and sneakers screeching across the floor vibrated across the room.

"Hello! Welcome to- Oh, Hey! I know you!"

My eyes darted to a tall dark frame with a tight black tanktop laced around his body, gapped smile flashing at me like headlights.

"Oh, yeah, Hey." I recalled, looking up at the boy I completely ditched last night.

"Eloise, right? I'm Sawyer, if you don't remember."

The guilt sunk into my stomach at his statement, that underlined with his hurt.

"I do remember," I smiled, even though I didn't.

"What bring you in?" He asks, lightening his mood.

"Just wondering around town," I said, as I scanned the room, and the men and women punching and groaning at the heavy bags that hang from the ceiling. I couldn't find Luke anywhere.

"Are you interested in boxing at all? I could teach you sometime if you wanted. Free lesson if you're lucky." Sawyer grinned sweetly.

"Actually I-"

Then the door swung open from behind me, the bell ringing, as the lengthy body I had grown so familiar with walked past me, towel throw over his shoulder.

"Him? Really?" Sawyer whispered, as Luke went toward the locker room, and I took pictures of his broad back and snapback in my head. "He's kind of an ass."

"What?!" I snapped, offended, and not at all rightfully so. "Why does everything women do have to involve a man?!"

"Oh-oh- Eloise I'm-"

I did come in there for Luke, but I didn't want to admit it, not even to myself.

"Give me a lesson." I ordered, and with sorry eyes Sawyer guided me to an empty bag.

"Our plans start at 24.99 a month, and that also inclu-"

"Just teach me how to punch that bag, okay?" I hissed.

Sawyer really was a sweet guy, my anger had nothing to do with anyone other than myself.

"Okay," He said, holding out two blue gloves, and I slide my hands in. "You need to wear gloves, or your hands will get all bruised and bloody and you could break a knuckle."

I nodded, as he strapped them on.

"Now hit it."

I swung my right arm, and punched at the bag.

"Harder." A loud voice boomed from behind me, sending chills down my spine.

I swung again, still not moving the bag.

"Is that all you've got?" Luke's teasing voice spun from behind me to in front of myself and the bag, bending down to my height so that our eye level was matched.

"You're a pussy," He snarked, not looking away from me, as I felt the heat rise in my body, and I punched the bag again.

He laughed.

"What is something that makes your blood boil?" He taunted, not looking away from me for one second.

I tried to think of the things that made me angry. Mia, on occasion. My father. Luke.

"Something that scratches underneath your skin, Ellie."

The way the word dripped off of his tongue immediately struck me in the place I needed to be. The thin chapped lips that used to sing the name to me still haunts me in my sleep, the cold concrete eyes that I always seem to find in others.

I swung at the bag, grunting while doing so, as I felt tears come to the brink of my eyes.

I hit it again, over and over, until I couldn't feel my arms anymore.

"You definitely should get a membership," Sawyer spoke, as I looked up to see Luke across the room, violently throwing punches at a bag. His arms flexed aggressively as he swung his arm backwards, sweat beating out of his forehead. His lip was tucked into his mouth the same way, his eyes focused on the bag in front of him.

"Thanks, Sawyer," I said, not bothering to look away from Luke. How did he know what to say to push me off of my edge?

"No problem, Hey, El?"

"Hm?" I turned to him, his arms were crossed over his chest.

"Can I take you out sometime? If not it's okay, I just-"

"Sure." I smiled, nodding. "Get my number from Mia and we'll set up something."

He was nice, but I was about as interested in him as I was to the 2 month old box of wheat chex cereal in the back of my cabinet.

I walked out of the gym, and stared into the busy street. The evening sunset began to illuminate the city, it truly looked beautiful. I felt my phone buzz from my pocket, another message from Mia.

From; Mia
Dinner tonight at The Inn?

To; Mia
Who's going ?

From; Mia
Suprise;)

"Hey,"

I turned to see Luke, standing in front of the doorway, the maroon snapback returned to his head, althoght now it was covered in beads of sweat. I swore I could have melted at the sight of him all sweaty.

"What'd I tell you about minding your own business?"

.

.

.

.

Hey guys omg sorry all of the chaps keep ending the same sort of way i'm just getting the story going !! do u guys like sawyer hes such a cutie poor guy :(