Made Blind in Order to See

"While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:18

-----

Saul was a man of great learning. He came from a family of some importance. He was born of Jewish parents who were Roman citizens of Tarsuz, the chief city of Cilicia, a very prominent city, noted for its philosophy, science, education, and culture. It is a culture in which there was a mingling of Greek, Roman, and Jewish elements.

Saul was also born from the tribe of Benjamin and was from the beginning a child of the law. He was a brilliant scholar, intellectually impressive and he surpassed his master, Gamaliel, for the kind of learning he apchieved. He had a fine background in Hellenism, spoke vernacular Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, and possibly Latin language. He had an enviable status as a Roman citizen. He was marked for great things by the leaders of the Jewish nation. He was not an ordinary man. Indeed, he was somebody. But he was a Pharisee, noted for being hypocrites.

Saul was foremost in the persecution of Christians; dragging them from their houses, thrusting them into prison, punishing them and killing them without mercy. And he was too zealous in following the scattered believers to other cities; chasing them beyond measure.

It was on one of these persecuting excursions that he encountered the Lord. He was suddenly surrounded by a blinding light, brighter than the sun. He and his companions fell to the ground and heard the voice of the Lord inquiring, "Saul, Saul why persecutest thou me?" Rising to his feet, Saul discovered that he was blind. And it lasted for three days. (Acts 9:3-8)

Why he was made blind? Let us look for at least three reasons why the Lord allowed him to experience blindness for three days. First, let us try to look on how Saul viewed himself.

Saul was such a great man. Considering all what he had in life, his accomplishments and everything in him, it is no doubt that he was not an ordinary man. His greatness was the reason why he could not see the Lord.

When one is popular and being admired or when one has so much in life – power, wealth, knowledge – there is a tendency that others have no more room in the heart. There is a possibility that Christ has no room in one's life. For what that person can have is all reserved for himself – the only person he can see.

For this reason, Saul was made blind in order not to see himself, but the humbleness of the Lord.

Why he was made blind? Secondly, let's try to discover how he treated other people, especially Christians.

Saul was always in the move, constantly watching and monitoring the activities of every Christian. He was foremost in persecuting anyone who could be Christ's followers. His heart had no room for others, instead, it was filled with fault-finding.

We have a kind of Saul in our church today. One who watches your every move; who criticizes your every word; who can easily remember your faults and shortcomings but none of your good deeds. His eyes are too wide and too big to notice every mistakes and pin point them with terrible exactness as well, as if his life is beyond perfection. Anyone who has these traits is like Saul, self-righteous and hypocrites. It was for these that he was made blind, so that he would stop persecuting the people of God; stop looking at their faults, but instead seeing only the sinless life of Christ.

Why he was made blind? Lastly, let's look how Saul viewed the things of this world.

I want to believe that Saul had everything in this life and his affection was set not on things above, but only on the things this world could offer. Like the things that he had - wealth, power, honor, influence, great learning, and a lot more.

Saul was made blind in order not to see the things of this world, but the things which are eternal. God had taken his sight and let him be in the dark for few days, so that he may desire light. Indeed, after he was made blind, he saw the light- he saw Christ.

Saul found God. When he found God, he forgot himself. He became blind of himself, of his own greatness. He dethroned himself and enthroned Christ in his heart. When he found God, he stopped persecuting the people of God and learned to accept them just as they are with limitations and shortcomings. When he found God, he allowed himself to be an instrument in changing the lives of other. No longer had he condemned anyone, knowing that God did not condemn him, even how sinful he was. When he found God, he could not see anymore the faults of other, but the worth of a single soul. When he found God, worldly things were no longer important. He became blind of the things of this world.

Once more, Christ is victorious. He has proven through his love, the most unlovable can feel love and love in return and be an instrument of His great love for humanity. Indeed, Saul was made blind in order to see these.

-----
Prayer:

Father in heaven, thank you for giving us eyes that can see beyond what is seen. Help us to look upon Jesus and the goodness there is in humanity.