*8* - Recon Mission

"I thought I made it clear that I didn't want any part of this recon mission," I state bitterly

The Avengers—all of them, I'm not kidding—have assembled into one room. Bruce believes he's found the location of an enhanced: Ruby. That she's hiding somewhere in Rio de Janeiro.

"Look, you know her," Stark says. "You come along as a diplomat, convince her to not hurt anybody. She comes back with us, no casualties. Everyone's a winner."

"You do realize she's like me, right?" I scratch my head. "She's not gonna want to be in the hands of the Avengers. Just like I still don't, two months later."

"Oh come on, snowflake, you enjoy our company."

Some more than others. But I refuse to let anyone know that.

"Does it say on the report what power she possesses?" asks Thor. I don't see why he's needed, he's overkill for something like this. Aliens from another world I get, but for enhanced people? Doesn't he have kingly, godly duties to do on his home world?

"She's an earth user," says Bruce. "We'll have to be careful and make sure she doesn't do too much damage."

"No guarantees there," I mumble.

"There can be if you come with us," Rogers says neutrally. "We're just trying to help people like you and save them."

"Did you think we didn't want that, Rogers?" I tap my foot restlessly. From the corner of my eye, Scarlet Witch is whispering something in her brother's ear.

"Did you want to become what you are now?"

I lose the retort I had ready. No, I didn't want to become a test subject. I had only wanted to help my parents, because I thought it involved research. And different kinds of lab tests. Not ones where I was the lab rat.

"Some of them could've been volunteers," says Hawkeye. "Aurora might have a point. Some of them might've been recruited by other means."

An Avenger agreeing with me? That's new.

"Look, we're not taking them back here to get their biographies," Stark says. "We're taking them back here to rehabilitate them."

"We're not riddled with diseases," I say, giving him a pointed glare.

"You're not exactly firing on all cylinders upstairs either, thinking that Hydra is good."

"We won't force you to go," says Bruce. "It would just make things less messy if you did."

"Who's going?" I prompt.

"We haven't decided yet," says Rogers.

"I'll go," Thor volunteers. "If this enhanced we're dealing with can manipulate the earth, we're going to need someone to counter her abilities."