*4* - Prisoner and Wardens

I'm too cold to move, like it has paralyzed me

I'm too cold to move, like it has paralyzed me. I should move so I can warm myself, but I don't.

My eyes open at the door opening, and I sit up slightly to see Mom and Dad coming in. My mouth parts just enough, and my teeth start chattering uncontrollably. I even do the childish thing of holding my lips together with my hand, as though that will make a difference.

"Rory?" Dad whispers cautiously, regarding me with soft brown eyes. "How are you, sweetheart?"

"C-c-cold," I stammer, wishing my teeth would stop for one second. "C-can I get, like, a-a-a hundred b-b-blankets or something? M-maybe something scalding h-hot to sip on?"

Mom's eyes are wide in awe. "It worked," she whispers.

"M-Mom, I'm only c-c-cold. How did it w-work?" I rub my arms. I make no heat.

"This is a sign!" she says excitedly. "We have to keep a sharp eye on you for a while, but I think it worked, Rory! The experiment worked!" Her eyes—my eyes—look as though she's a kid at Christmas.

I cringe. I don't like the word "experiment".

"I need to go make a note of this." Mom kisses Dad quickly before fleeing the room. I eye Dad strangely, his eyes remain soft.

"You're so brave, Rory." He kneels down at my cot. "You're doing a good thing for us."

"A-at least I'm not d-d-dead." I shudder. I want to say I feel the heat in my cheeks, but I don't. "I-I eavesdropped a time or t-two."

He smiles warmly, but then it falters. "You're not out of the clear yet, though. We have to make sure your body is handling the change all right. Some have made it to your stage, and their power overwhelmed them." There's a crease in his brow. "There's a chance that can happen to you. But it won't, because you're strong."

Yeah, strong. Not strong enough to run away when I realized what my "help" really was to my parents. Not strong enough to put my foot down and keep it down once I realized I was going to be a guinea pig for a bunch of scientists.

Dad puts a hand on my face, and I see his arm quiver. "Phew, you're ice, sweetheart."

"I told you." My smile almost feels like it's chattering in tune with my teeth.

"Maybe this means something more, Rory. Maybe this means your gift will be an element. Are you hungry?"

I nod mutely. "Anything you got, give it to me. I-I think I'm entitled to some food. But make it hot."

He tousles my hair like I'm a little girl again. Through this process, Dad has remained the same. I can't say the same about Mom. Am I her daughter? Yes. I don't think she sees me as just that anymore. I'm something more to her now.