Chapter 1: The Day

Lily's POV

I woke up suddenly, looked around, and realized it was just a dream. Well, not really; it was a recurring nightmare about something that had happened when I was young. I laid back down and cried. All I could think about was her, the one I had lost, the one I would never see again: my mother.

6 years earlier

I walked around happily through the forest with my mother. She was sweet and kind; the best mother a Petilil could ask for. But little did I know I would lose her for good.
I heard footsteps. Loud footsteps. I looked up and saw something large and strange. It couldn't be a Pokémon; it had weird things loosely covering its body, and something on its back.
My mother pushed me into a bush and told me to stay there. I watched as she battled this strange beast, who had somehow managed to gain control of Pokémon. I saw my mother attempt to fight off a Servine. She failed, and the creature threw something at her, sealing her away and taking her away from me forever. I sat in that bush and cried.

Back to the present

I cried more, sleeping in the bush I watched my mother get caught in. I looked up and saw it was daytime. I sniffled and ran to a tree to get some berries. Then I saw him; a Sneasel, sleeping in the middle of a forest in Unova. How was that possible? I sighed. Should I wake him up? I thought.

Zen's POV

"Wake up," I heard a feminine voice say. "Wake up!"
I opened my eyes slowly and saw a Petilil in front of my face. "Are you lost, mister?" she asked.
I screamed. Since when could Petilil talk?! All they were supposed to say was their name!
"A Sneasel shouldn't be in a place like this," said the Petilil. I looked at myself to discover that I was, in fact, a Sneasel. Oh. That explained the Petilil thing.
Wait, I'm a Sneasel?!
The Petilil looked at me. "What's your name?" she asked shyly.
"I'm...Zen," I replied.
"That's a funny name," said Petilil. "My name's Lily."
I rolled my eyes. Of course.
I grabbed my backpack. Lily's eyes widened. "Wh-where did you get that?" she asked, afraid.
I smirked, taking out a Pokéball. "Got it for my 10th birthday," I replied, "along with this!" I threw the Pokéball and out popped a sleeping Bulbasaur. I sighed. "Wake up, Bulby," I said. Bulby stayed asleep.
Lily giggled. I growled and grabbed her, ready to attack. But just as I was about to, she teared up.
"Wh...what's wrong?" I asked.
"I just...don't want to end up like my mother," she replied sadly. I hugged her gently.

Lily's POV

Wait, what? First he wants to take me, now he's hugging me?
I continued to cry. "It's ok," Zen said, "I'm here for you."
I cried harder, knowing what he really was. He sighed.
"I can't bring your mother back," he said, "but I'm still here for you."
"Wh-why?" I asked.
"Because why the fluff not," he replied. I giggled at his euphemism.
-----
I stopped crying after a while. Zen smiled. I smiled also.
Zen told me all about humans and why they captured Pokémon. I frowned. Humans sounded like such cruel creatures, but Zen was so nice.
I think I love him.

Darkness' POV

Stupid Trainers. All they care about is whether you're "shiny" or not. They never stop to think about how Pokémon they release may feel. But why should they? They're cruel creatures who keep us imprisoned and force us to battle others. They obviously have no feelings other than anger, hatred, and cruel happiness. Like me, except I have a good reason.
I hate my ex-Trainer. Releasing me because my younger sister was "shiny." What does that even mean, anyway? The Pokémon is a slightly different color! Sure, it's rare, but not worth abandoning your best friend! I sighed. I shouldn't think about these things. They only fuel my hatred for Trainers. Stupid creatures. If only I could kill them all...
Oh, wait. I can. Fufufu.