Chapter 42: Never Was Much of an Actor

Yaz had never been much of an actor, but she was quickly learning that one learned new skills quickly in dire straits. And so it was with her. She had found her inner actor quickly within a matter of days of making that deal with Hashim.

And it was time to let that actor out once more today at the wedding.

She walked down the center of the crowd, staring at the ground, letting a small smile play on her lips as though she were ducking her head in shyness, not out of embarrassment and fury.

But she lifted it moments later to stare at Gafar. She was not a dog. She was not whipped. She would not act it.

She gave him a broad smile, flashing her pearly white teeth.

He smiled back, eyes glistening with happiness.

She laughed inside to see how happy he was when he was about to wed the woman who – ultimately anyway – would bring his downfall. And she would.

For revenge.

For Cemal’s sake and hers’. She would avenge what Hashim and Gafar had done.

She rolled her shoulders back, standing tall and regal as she walked down the aisle to meet the man she was to wed. She clutched her bouquet of bright desert flowers in reds and yellows. She was prepared.

Her walk ended at the marble platform of the great ballroom. She let her gaze wander to the decorations.

Banners in royal red and purple waved from the columns surrounding the room. Larger bouquets of flowers like hers were hanging in baskets from the walls. A carpet of rich red burgundy lay beneath her feet as she walked up the steps to the platform, handing her flowers off the the woman Hashim had chosen to be her maid of honor.

Gafar took her hand.

There was no one to hand her off – that thought struck her in a blast, almost causing her façade to crumble and fall because her father was dead. He wouldn’t see her married as she’d always wanted him to. Of course, if he was here, she would be marrying Cemal, not Gafar. She couldn’t think on that though. She rebuilt the walls before anyone noticed something was wrong.

Gafar beamed at her, and she smiled back softly, looking at the ground to hide what her true emotions were. He couldn’t find out that she wasn’t willing in this whole entire plan or else Hashim would kill Cemal.

If he isn’t dead already. Her poisonous mind leered at her.

He isn’t. I’m not doing this for nothing… And if I ever find out they killed him, I will personally raze them all to the ground. I will destroy every last one, including Gafar and Hashim. Because if he is truly dead, then I have no reason left to live. I have nothing if the one I love is dead.

The priest behind them gave her and Gafar a wide smile and began the ceremony.

***

Yaz listened to the man speak, tuning him out until it was time to say her vows. She spoke them clearly and without hesitation, but inside she was screaming and weeping, her heart withering away a lot more than before with this step.

Inside, she was ready to burst out in tears, but outside, she was composed, unwavering. Because she had to be. She was the only lifeline Cemal had. And she would not sever it.

The priest waved to Gafar. “Seal it with a kiss, Your Highness.”

Gafar leaned forward, cradling her head in his hands, kissing her softly but passionately.

She kissed back, though it made her feel sick inside, making it seem to the crowd that she was happy with this.

Gafar was oblivious to any problems. She could tell by taking one look at his happy face and excited eyes. He was blind to the reality of her deception.