Chapter 15: The Past Haunts

Fath walked through the cave’s narrow passages, careful not to bump up against anything – especially the walls. He didn’t want to die just because of one misstep.

The tunnel opened out at the other end with a room. Fath couldn’t see the other end of the room, which was shadowed in darkness. The lamps lighting the walls were bright and polished, but a thick layer of dust lay undisturbed on the ground, proving that no one had entered this room for a long time. Sand sprinkled the room throughout, and at the center of the room was a pedestal with a shining oil pot.

It had blue gems inlaying its gold surface, and Fath knew as soon as he saw it that it was an expensive piece. The pedestal was covered in a fine coating of sand and dust, which had come from a small hole in the ceiling, where sand was still trickling in on occasion as the wind disturbed it above. The pot, however, still shone as though it had been newly polished. Fath knew that wasn’t normal, and could only guess that the pot was indeed – as Hashim had said it was – magical, and that the pot was what kept the chamber’s lamps lit and sparkling.

Large quantities of gold and gems lay on the floor along with multiple carpets and chalices. Everything glittered and gleamed through the coating of sand and dust. The heavy carpets covering the floors were embroidered with gold thread and several had tassels of gold as well.

He stood for a moment, gaping at the richness of the abandoned chamber. Just a handful of the things lying about in this chamber would feed him and his mother for a lifetime. It would support him for the rest of his life. But with everything here… If he had all of this to his name, he would be far beyond perhaps even the Sultan.

Then he remembered what Hashim had said. He wasn’t to touch anything but the lamp. If he did, he would die.

He gave the gems and gold one last cursory glance, and then walked with care on the cleared path leading to the pedestal. He made sure he didn’t touch a single gold piece or anything else.

When he reached the pedestal, he gazed in amazement at the small pot. Its delicate, gold sides were perfectly curved with beautiful inlays of gems to create scrolling flowers and leaves as well as carefully crafted vines with grapes hanging from them. It was the most expensive, beautiful thing he’d seen.

He stared for a few more minutes, and then he remembered what he was supposed to do, and he grabbed the lamp off the pedestal. Avoiding coming into contact with anything strewn on the floor or the pedestal itself, he headed to the other end of the room, remembering Hashim’s instructions not to return the way he had come.

Taking a deep breath, he plunged into the darkness on the opposite side of the room, holding up the torch Hashim had given him so that he would be able to see where he was heading.  

***

“How are things going with Gafar, Yaz?” Imaran inquired.

She shrugged. “He’s been… different.”

“Different?” Imaran frowned. “How so?”

“Oh, he’s just been kinder, sweeter… Gentler, really. He’s been considerate of me, and he isn’t trying to take things any faster than I want to.” Yaz murmured, avoiding her father’s gaze.

Imaran smiled. “Come here, Yaz…”

She walked to him, examining his face as she did so.

Imaran knew she was searching to figure out what he thought of her words. It had been a habit of hers ever since he could remember.

He stood up, pulling her into an embrace. “I would really like to know, Yaz, why you’re so frightened of him.”

She started, moving back away from him. “Frightened of Gafar? Me?” She laughed, but it was shaky and lacking conviction.