Chapter 55: Possession

Author's Note:

Okay, okay... so you've probably forgotten what this is about. Probably don't even care anymore... *bows head in shame* * Apologies*

If you are going to read still a heads up that it hasn't been beta-read so there are many varied and sickening mistakes. Sorry.

Please enjoy....

_____________________

Snape stared at the bottle on the desk in front of him. He had no doubts that it was a trick and no doubt that Odile was behind it; he just had no idea what it was.

"Severus?" He turned and saw Meg walking towards him. "Have you found anything yet?"

He shook his head and turned back to the bottle.

"Why don't we let the ministry have it?" she asked him.

He reached out and caught her round the waist tugging her down onto his lap.

"I think that might be wise," he replied softly. "I can find nothing on the surface but I have neither the resources nor the inclination to really look into it."

Meg reached out and picked up the tiny bottle. She tilted it and watched as the light was refracted from its cut glass surface casting rainbows around her.

"It really is very beautiful," she murmured turning it slowly. "Maybe it's not harmful at all."

"Megan, it came from Odile what else could it be except dangerous?"

"Maybe she doesn't know anything about it. Maybe it truly did come from Damien."

"And maybe I'll start wearing pink robes and handing out sweets with each assignment," he drawled sarcastically.

"Well, you have developed a sense of humour so I guess anything is possible." She grinned as she placed the bottle back onto the desk.

"Madam! I'll have you know that it's akin to high treason accusing a Snape of having anything as evil as a sense of humour," he replied caustically but his fingers dancing along her sides belied the tone of his voice.

She squirmed away from his fingers, trying to twist around. Her hands caught his and he let her hold tightly to them. She looked at him seriously.

"You know, now you say it, it's quite an interesting thought you in pink. I could have some quite nice daydreams about it."

He arched an eyebrow at her and pulled his hands from hers to grasp her waist.

"I have some wonderful daydreams about you in nothing at all," he leered wickedly at her. "Fancy making them come true?"

"Why, Severus!" She pressed a hand to her chest in mock horror. "What a thing to say to a lady!"

"That may be as well. But you're my lady and that makes it perfectly alright," he insisted and with a sly grin inched his hands under her jumper.

"If you say so," she demurred and lowered her head to his, the bottle temporarily forgotten.

~

Snape grinned smugly as Meg disappeared back through the doorway quite some time after she had first come in. He was relieved that they seemed to be back on an even keel again. Their marriage wasn't all sweetness and light at the best of times, and he doubted that it ever would be. But then he didn't want it any other way; she challenged him, kept him on his toes and just when he thought he knew everything there was to know about her, she'd pull a fast one and take him by surprise. But the last couple of days weren't something he ever wanted to repeat with her again. The bitterness between them was tangible and more than once he thought that he had actually lost her. He wasn't sure what he would do if she ever walked away from him. Probably follow her, for he would never be content to live life without her, not now he knew what it was like to be loved and to love in return. It was a situation he would do anything to retain and give everything to protect.