Chapter 23: Dealing

Disclaimer: The usual, own nothing!

I had originally intended this to be the last chapter, but as usual my imagination ran away with me! There are so many things to clear up and tie together that I was running into page 26 and I was no closer to the end, so I've decided to stop and post what I've done so far. 

Here we go, and please keep your hands in and your feet on the running boards at all times.

____________________

She was falling, her arms and legs flailing, trying desperately to catch the broomstick that was just out of her reach. Never moving closer and never moving away.

She could hear screaming, blood curdling screams that she knew were her own. Severus was leaning over the broomstick, shouting at her. Yelling at her to catch the broomstick, but no matter how hard she tried; she couldn't grip the twigs or handle.

She could feel tears pouring down her face. Panic, cold and hard settled in her chest.

Severus leaned over, his fingertips brushing the ends of hers; never able to grasp her properly. His face began to swim out of view and it became Dean leaning over, laughing down at her. He began to sing and she could hear the words in her head over and over again.

"Rock a bye, Megan on a broomstick....

When the broom breaks her death will be quick..."

Meg clamped her hands over her ears and tried to stop the words echoing round and round her head.

"No...." She could see the ground rushing up closer, ever closer. She was going to die; desperation washed over her, the feeling of being utterly helpless.

"Severus!" She screamed his name, clawing at something tangible now.

"Megan! Wake up, you're dreaming, it's just a dream!" Cool hands on her hot arms stopped her from trying to get away.

"Help me, please!" She tried to claw herself up his arms, frantically clinging to him, still caught in her nightmare.

"Megan, calm down; open your eyes and look at me. You're quite safe," whispered words in her ears, hands holding her still against the mattress, not allowing her to thrash about and hurt herself even more.

She opened her eyes and sighed heavily as the ceiling of the infirmary came into view. She was safe, she wasn't dead. Relief made her breath catch in her throat. Relief so strong she sagged into his chest, her head buried in his robes. Her breathing coming hard now, as his hands stroked her back, his voice, soft and low whispering words into her ear, words she didn't understand, didn't take in. But they calmed her all the same.

Tears wouldn't come; her eyes dry as she clung to his him; keeping her head buried in the security of the black robes that was pressed against her.

Severus. Severus was holding her. She was safe; she wasn't dead, no one had died.

She raised her head slightly, letting him pull back slightly.

She avoided his eyes and instead lay back, covering her bruised face with her hands.

"Megan?" he spoke deeply, softly.

But Megan didn't respond, didn't say anything at all. Made no move to show she'd even heard him. She was lost in herself; unable to get past the images of her dream.

"Megan." His voice held the same soft and low tone he used with the students. A tone of voice that couldn't be ignored, she drew in a shuddering breath; his voice stabilising her, bringing her round from the nightmare.