Chapter 5: Confession

A/N: I think I'd better clear some things up that aren't quite apparent in my story. I'm not sure if anyone is reading this out there, but I need to explain this for my own benefit as well!

This is set in Harry's seventh and final year.

I have supposed that Snape is about thirty-seven,

Meg is twenty-eight and with Harry being 12 when he entered Hogwarts, that made Snape 25, when he began teaching. So Snape started teaching the year Meg left, so they would not have come into contact before now.

________________

"So, now you know, Severus," she whispered it, too scared to look at his face.

He made no sound whatsoever; there was only the noise of house-elves working in the background.

She drew in a deep breath and made her mind up instantaneously.

"I'm sorry, Severus, truly sorry." She backed away and then turning on her heels she left the kitchens.

She was only a little way down the corridor when Dean stepped out in front of her. She stopped, her heart beat increasing, but a sudden resolve in her mind.

"Meg." He nodded his head slightly, his eyes narrowed.

"Dean, why are you here?" she asked quietly, her heart beating madly in her chest. Fears and emotions she had kept locked away for years were so close to the surface, she felt as if she were drowning.

"I see nothing has changed," he said quietly, a small smirk playing around his lips.

"Still believe the whole world revolves around you!" He shook his head and motioned her to walk with him. She was uncertain at first, but he turned to walk away and Meg didn't want to leave things unresolved any longer, so she fell into step with him.

"Why would you imagine I was here for any reason apart from Dumbledore requesting a replacement for the Divination professor?" His words were measured carefully, a hint of mockery colouring them.

"Come of it, Dean, the chances are remote, you don't even teach Divination. Dark Arts, maybe, but not Divination."

"Possibly, but the position has been filled by the very capable Severus Snape, hasn't it? I see you're getting friendly with him. You do know he was a Death Eater." He didn't look at her at all, he had his hands clasped behind his back as he walked, his head high, his eyes on the passageways ahead.

"Yes, I know, but that has nothing to do with our conversation," she replied frostily, she didn't want to drag Severus into this if she could help it. She had her hands buried deep in her robes, her right hand clutching her wand very tightly.

"I know." He nodded. "It just struck me as funny! You, getting all buddy buddy with Snape, former Death Eater, with still dubious intentions. That's probably the closest you'll ever get to meeting yourself!"

"What?" Meg couldn't believe what he'd said.

"Well, come on lets face it... you're both murderers." He stopped short to look out of the window over the lake.

"Leave, Severus out of this," she hissed beside him, staring unseeingly over the lake.

"Don't expect to get a 'happy ever after ' with Snape. He isn't the type to settle down... and I doubt he'd settle for someone who had the same scruples as himself!"

"Dean, stop playing games and tell me what you're here to do!"

"I already told you, teach Divination; to think anything else is extremely arrogant and self-centred! But like I said earlier, nothing's changed in you." He sighed and brought his hands forward to rest on the ledge. "Nine years ago I told you I'd come after you and kill you."