Chapter 20: Jack's Back

Six spiders in her room.

One she could deal with. Encourage it into a cup, using the end of her wand or encourage it out the door, and if all else failed the sole of her boot worked quite well. Although that was definitely sweat inducing, as they tended to move faster than she did. But six at once all in a little group on the mattress? That she couldn't deal with, especially as lighting the lamps in her room seemed to bring them to life and sent them scuttling off the bed and towards her.

She had managed to jump on the chair and stupify one; the others had sensed danger and scuttled under the bed. Where, she had no doubt, they watched her with beady eyes and glistening fangs.

She wasn't sure how long she'd been stood there when Severus had calmly unlocked her door and walked in. But she'd never been so pleased to see him.

But six spiders?

She turned over and slid her hand under the pillow to cushion her head better.

She shivered as she thought about the big, hairy eight legged fiends that had been sitting on her bed. She had never seen so many spiders in one go. She shuddered again. Where had they come from? She knew there were no more now, not after Severus had searched for her.

An image of him on his knees with his head stuck under her bed made her smile. He was a good man; despite what everyone else saw, despite the way he treated people. Well, he was good to her; sometimes.

She frowned and watched the flame of the candle flickering.

He'd asked her if she was pregnant? Where on earth had he got that one from? She thought back over the day.

She shook her head; it would certainly explain a few things. The tiredness, the dizziness; possibly even the blackouts. But she wasn't, and it didn't.

Sighing she turned back over and looked straight into Severus' black eyes.

"Oh!" She was startled. "I thought you were asleep."

"Can't sleep, Megan?" his eyes were alert, no hint of sleepiness in them.

Meg sat up and drew her knees to her chest to look down at him. He turned to lie on his back, his eyes never leaving her face.

"Why can't you sleep?"

"Why can't you?" she returned.

"Don't answer a question with a question."

"I'm not sleepy." She shrugged. "Probably slept too much in Remus' office." She bit her lip; they never really resolved anything today. They very rarely did, but then she only had herself to blame for that.

"Severus, nothing happened, y'know."

"I know," he replied softly. "What were you thinking about?"

"When? In his office?"

"No, now. Instead of sleeping." He sat up beside her and turned slightly to face her. The grey night shirt he wore buttoned up to his throat.

"The spiders," she admitted; that was a safe topic.

"I can assure you, there are no spiders in here."

"Oh, I know," she said quickly. "I was just thinking how I'd never seen so many at once."

"Where were they?"

"They were on the bed when I came in," she replied and plucked nervously at a loose thread on the edging around the oversized t-shirt she wore in bed.

"Together?"

"Yeah, in a heap."

"Megan, were they moving when you came in? Fighting?"