Chapter Thirteen

“Why do not understand, Eden? I do this for the good of both tribes!” Makram hissed, fist buried in my hair, head yanked back so I was forced to look into his soulless eyes.

It had probably been a couple of days now, I couldn’t be sure since there was no day light – or anything to tell me how much time had passed.

My stomach was in cramps from hunger and the rest of my body just ached from the first beating I’d ever had in my life.

My arms felt as if they’d drop off from being held up for so long and I felt like passing out constantly but Makram wouldn’t let me… he was the only one who came into the room – the only one who brought me food or came into check up on me.

Unfortunately all he did was rant when ever he came in - mostly about his tribe and honour. I’d found out that his people had travelled from Egypt and they were a brought up on pride, discipline and honour.

It sounded similar to the Spartans way of life – they got rid of the weak and trained their young from birth, in battle.

I thought it was stupid – but I didn’t dare say anything to Makram in case he beat me again – luckily his friends hadn’t laid a hand on me since the first beating and Makram only occasionally gripped my hair or backhanded me – course, his rings made it all the more painful.

So, not to risk getting hurt- I remained quiet.

Makram curled his lip at my silence and roughly let go of my hair, stepping away and running a hand through his hair – only to get it tangled in the braids and beads making him curse in his own language.

I watched with slight amusement, smirking lightly but made it vanish when Makram turned to look at me, having gotten his hand free. He scowled before walking over to the tray he’d brought in – making my stomach growl in anticipation.

It was weird, even though they were torturing me and keeping me locked up – they fed me well and Makram weirdly tended to my cuts after inflicting them on me.

Makram brought over a plate of crackers with hummus layered on top of them, carefully he picked one up and held it out to me to eat – I admit, this had been awkward at first but I now didn’t hesitate to take quick hungry bites of what he offered me.

Makram watched intensely carefully feeding me each cracker till they were gone – but he then frowned, tilting his head curiously as he reached a hand up, using his thumb to swipe gently against the corner of my mouth where some hummus remained.

I watched in shock as he then proceeded to place his thumb in his own mouth, licking up the hummus before stepping away, chuckling softly.

“If you were a woman, things would be different” Makram hummed, placing the tray aside and taking a seat in the chair he’d left in front of me  “I have made you mine but it is dishonourable to have a woman of another tribe… or to mate man with man, or woman with woman…”

Makram’s eyes glazed over as he seemed to be thinking – I frowned and licked my lips, swallowing tightly as prepared my self to speak.

“T-that man and woman you killed before… why did you kill them?” I asked, curiosity eating me up inside – I really wished I wasn’t curious about him and his tribe.

“They planning to run away together and they mate with not the tribes’ permission. They were insulting ya ibn asharmoota who betrayed us… I killed them because it be my duty” Makram explained, eyes looking distant again – he had a look about him that was weird, as if he were sad.

“Why do you look upset? You chose to kill them” I asked, resting my weight carefully on to my other foot – a habit I’d stared so I was more comfortable.

Makram looked up and stared at me for a while – I almost thought he wasn’t going to answer me and instead beat me for asking him the question but he instead shook his head and took a shuddering breath.

“The woman… she be my sister but she betray even me… she…” Makram then began to trail off into his native language, voice cracking as he ranted on, fists suddenly clenching as his voice became angry and he stood – kicking aside the chair and approaching me.

My eyes widened at his sudden mood change and I scrambled back – even though I wasn’t going anywhere. Makram grabbed my hair, yanking me forward and pressing his forward against mine, so we were nose to nose.

“She perfect before Judas mess her up… he talk to her… he told her to run away, he told her was okay to love… she love the runt of the tribe – she love him more than me. She was going to leave with him!”

“I-is that why you want to destroy the wolves?” I dared to ask, heart going into over drive in fear at how close he was 

“No… just other reason…”

“W-why do you want to fight the wolves?” I really wished I could stop myself from talking… the lack of sunlight was making me stupid.

“So they can pay for dishonouring our tribe, they insult us, they trick us – and our law say, to settle a fight is to send best man of each tribe to fight till death… only then is it okay...” Makram growled out, hand moving from my hair to my cheek – his other hand rising to the other cheek so he was cradling my face in his hands.

I tried hard not to gasp in realization as things clicked in place… that’s why he was keeping me here – to provoke the wolves into fighting.

The wolves were family; naturally they wouldn’t send one of their brothers or sisters to their deaths! So they refused and Makram’s people stayed… and then Judas, Coby, Leonard and Decimus all fought over me… they saw that!!!

It really was my fault and now they were waiting for the wolves to fight… I was the cheese in the trap to the mice!!

I was going to start a fucking War!!

“Y-you can’t do this! You can’t!!” I suddenly cried out, making Makram flinch back as my voice rose.

“They are family! They wouldn’t risk a brother or sister in a stupid fight to the death! Your law is stupid – your fucking tribe is stupid! You have no idea what your about to start if you don’t let me go!” I shouted, blood boiling in rage at realizing why they’d kidnapped me – that they were trying to start a war! Trying to kill all the people I’d come to love!

Makram stared at me for the longest time and in that time I began to realize what I’d said… I was an idiot.

I shrunk back as Makram’s eyes narrowed, before he whipped his hand up in the air making me flinch away, burying my face into my shoulder as I braced my self for the strike.

But it never came.

Peeking an eye open I watched Makram slowly lower his hand, a smirk curving his lip before he burst out laughing.

“You smarter than I guessed, Eden but you are wrong… I know what I start – so I will not let you go… not till all the Dhi’b are nothing but fur and blood” Makram purred, reaching out to clutch my chin in a painfully harsh grasp.

“Eden… You will be their ‘Dhi’b Samm’... Their Wolfbane”