Chapter Eleven

“Eden~” a soft voiced lulled me from my sleep, tired eyes opening to look up at my Uncle, whose smile spread wide across his face as our eyes locked.

“Come baby, don’t give up just like that – you gotta keep trying”

“But its hard Uncle Noaahhhh~~” my voice sounded without me even knowing, but it sounded younger – and upon looking down at my tiny hands, I knew I was dreaming.

“I know Eden, but if you keep trying, you’ll get there in the end!” My uncle encouraged, reaching out to me again as I sniffed miserably.

I looked down at my self again; my knee’s were bruised and scrapped – as were my hands which were laced with dirt. As if I’d fallen over repeatedly and somehow I knew it hurt to get back up so I decided to just stay there… I must have only been four years old. . .

“Help me, Uncle Noaaahhhh!!” I sobbed, vision blurring as fat hot tears ran down my cheeks – I didn’t understand why he hadn’t helped me up yet.

“No Eden, you have to do this – by your self. You can do it… Come on!” I frowned at my uncle’s words… at the time I remember being hurt by his words… but now they made sense.

“But-” I began but my uncle laughed, cutting me off as he sat down beside me and smiled softly, ruffling my light coloured hair.

“You’ll never get anywhere in life if you keep expecting others to do things for you” He murmured, of course – to my four year old self that meant nothing.

“If not for me, Eden, try for your self?” He asked softly, tilting his head so his blonde curly locks fell to the side, the sun catching the blue in his eyes making them glitter, almost like sapphires.

I sniffled again but forced my self to have another go and beamed when I struggled back to my feet – turning to my uncle to see his reaction… but he was gone~

“Uncle?” I asked, my voice suddenly my own again – I looked down at my hands – clean and no longer small.

I looked about for my uncle but suddenly the world around me turned black and the ground fell from under my feet – a startled scream leaving me as I fell into the blackness before I awoke in my room again.

I must have been fading in and out of consciousness – dreaming? Was I even dead? Did you dream while you were dead…? Surely not. 

I wondered how long it would take until death took me… but yet I still woke up every so often, unaware of time and seeing my room blur in and out of focus.

Maybe I was now cursed to repeatedly see the last thing I saw before I died.

Perhaps I should try killing my self again… I might have done it wrong even.

It then accrued to me that I couldn’t even kill my self right and the next time I came in to consciousness was to see my father leaning over me, shaking me.

I watched his lips move but I couldn’t hear what he was saying. I felt him touching my cheek, forehead – his hands were cold… or was I cold?

Cornelius came into view next – eyes wide as he knelt to my side, brushing my hair back and, like dad, his lips were moving but no sound.

I caught glimpses of my bedroom door which was wide open, the chair flung across the room and lying on its side… I hadn’t heard them break into my room.

Why couldn’t I hear anything? Was I dead?

My eyelids drooped suddenly and it all went black again…