Chapter Three

My stomach sunk as I watched father’s hand curl into a fist before swinging down at me but it never struck – Cornelius stood beside dad, holding onto his wrist with one hand, looking our father directly in the eye.

“Get out of my room” Cornelius’ voice was deadly, his face blank of emotion as he stared at our father, only his eyes signifying how angry he was.

“Fuck off Cornelius, this isn’t about you – it’s about your stupid little brother…” Dad turned his head sluggishly to look back at me, eyes narrowing as his voice rose again- making me flinch. “That bastard child!!”

I stared back with wide eyes, breathing heavily, my heart thudding loudly in my ears -  not believing what I was hearing or seeing… I had never seen dad like this before… Nor had I seen him loving either… he was just never there.

“Daddy?” I asked slowly but my voice broke as the lump in my throat didn’t go down, tears were already streaking down my face and staining my cheeks – I felt so broken… and I hated it!

“Leave. Now.” Cornelius ordered making my dad turn away from me to look at Coby with disdain, they stared at each other for a moment longer before Dad snorted and yanked his arm free, stumbling back as he made his way to the door with a slurred ‘fuck off’ before he left.

Cornelius turned to me after he shut the door, leaving us alone in his room. He knelt down and gently touched my cheek, his eyebrows pulled together in a frown but his eyes were sad.

“We better get some ice on that…” He murmured more to him self then to me; I sniffed, nodding anyways as he continued to rub my cheek gently with his thumb, seemingly lost in his own thoughts before he sighed.

“I’m sorry Eden, I was hoping he’d leave you alone… at the very least” he muttered, running a hand through his hair before getting up, holding a hand out to help me up too.

I noticed he was dressed in a suit, probably for work or something which meant… he was going to leave soon. Leave… me alone with father.  

“Why… Why d-did he do that t-to me C-Coby?” I stuttered, sniffing loudly as I tried to stop crying but I just couldn’t, I know dad wasn’t the loving type or the type of dad to be there at all - but this??

I felt arms wrap securely around me pulling me firmly into his chest and holding me close as I chocked on another sob, curling up into my brother. I covered my mouth with one hand, the other clutching at his white shirt which was soaking up my tears – staining it.

“Shh Eden, its okay, its okay” He cooed, one of his hand running up and down my back while the other had come up to cradle my head against his chest. “I won’t let him hurt you again, I promise” He murmured in my ear, kissing my temple gently as he rocked me slightly.

I somewhat calmed down after a minute, hating my self for acting so weak and pathetic and - - and just freezing up instead of running! Or at least protecting my self when dad had come at me… he could have done worse if Coby hadn’t been here to stop him...

“Eden?” I looked up to Coby, still shivering slightly as I waited for him to continue but as he opened his mouth his phone went off. Cornelius looked apologetic as he reached into the inside pocket of his suit jacket, pulling out his mobile glancing at the screen and then answering it almost immediately.

“Hello?” Cornelius’ voice sounded cheerful – he even smiled as the other person spoke but I could only hear muffled murmurs, not that I wanted to listen into his conversation - instead I rested my head back on to his chest, clutching his shirt in both hands as I stared out the window.

I still couldn’t believe that dad had done that to me…

“I’m okay… actually no, erm... Dad attacked Eden…” a pause a more murmurs were heard sounding angry – but yet concerned?? I think. “Yeah, he’s alright but I can’t leave him here alone —” my brother cut off, rubbing his free hand up and down my back gently before stopping completely.