Chapter Sixteen

“Because you are my Mate, Eden”

The words brought me no joy unlike they did when Judas said them. They made me feel cold and terror swept through me so fast that I felt like screaming at the pain of panic it caused me.

No - I had to run, I had to get away and warn Decimus… To protect Judas!!         

“Father – You can’t be serious! He won’t replace your lost ‘so called mate’” Dayne spat in disgust and then harshly continuing - “That, need I remind you, you killed! He’s nothing like him!”

“Be silent, Dayne! This is not about your mother” Zarek hissed sending a quick glare to his son as he cut up his meal, leaving me to my panic attack on the floor.

“I’m not talking about mom, I’m talking about ---“

“Dayne!” Zarek snapped, silencing Dayne with a final warning glance that had Dayne sinking back into his seat in frustration “You will learn your place and hold your tongue – you should know better that I do not stand for disobedience – son or no son”

“Whatever!” Dayne huffed getting up, making his chair screech against the wooden floor and storming out of the room with all the might of a stroppy teenager.

Zarek barely watched him go, attention back on his food for a moment – however a low growl could be heard before he stood, throwing down his napkin as he stormed out of the room after his son.

Makram gave a low whistle at the drama – reaching down he helped me up and situated me across his lap, an arm wrapped around my shoulders drew me in further into his side so he could whisper into my ear, picking at the leftover food on my plate. “See, you are trouble where ever you are – you cause this... like with Judas’ tribe”

I tried to lean away from him, his words were trying to upset me and I wasn’t going to let him but he held strong, keeping me close as he continued to talk to me in a hushed tone.

“Are you going to put Dayne to sleep like Judas? So he won’t wake up… as well” he asked, his words confusing me.

“What?” I asked carefully, scared almost for the answer. 

“Judas is... almaut “ Makram explained using an Arabic word I didn’t understand, I frowned at him, watching him think it over, tossing a piece of pork into his mouth and chewing slowly before his eyes brightened. He leaned back in close, his lips brushing my ear making me recoil in disgust but he held me firmly as he breathed the word to me.

Death

My eyes widened at that and I recoiled away – or at least tried to since Makram now grabbed my jaw, holding my face inches from his.

His black eyes watched my face intensely as I struggled to get away – he watched the tears bubble in my eyes, the chock of my sobs as I tried to deny his words from my mind that believed them to be true.

Judas couldn’t be dead – he just couldn’t, however the shock of his words, and knowing Makram wasn’t one for lying – he was a man of his honour and respect only led me to believing more and more that he was telling the truth.

My struggles faltered as the news settled in that Judas really could be dead and it was my fault.

Makram smiled… it was like he enjoyed watching my reaction.

No – he was getting off on my reaction since I could feel the hard bulge in his tight leather pants pressing against my hip, his grip on me tightening as he drew his face closer.