fifteen

I looked at Vic and he smiled. I wanted to smile back because his smile was so contagious but I didn't. Instead, I asked my burning question.

"When I went to breakfast with your dad, he told me you were different." His eyes lowered a bit. "And- and Justin stopped me outside of work today as I was leaving and told me you were a tranny. What does that mean?"

"What does tranny mean?" I nodded. Vic looked at me with sad eyes and I immediately felt bad. I didn't want to make him feel bad. Still, it felt so wrong.

"A tranny is a mean term for transgender kids." He paused for a second. "Like me," I reacted plainly. What was going on?

"A what?" I said. He smirked and moved his chair closer to me, turning me so we faced each other. I looked down at his hands as he held mine.

"Look at me." He said. I looked into his eyes and nodded. There were his pretty eyes again, and there went my heart. I cleared my throat. "Do I look like a boy or a girl."

"A boy! Of course, you're not a girl." I said blatantly. He smiled at me.

"Well, I used to be. I was born one but I know I am a boy and I transitioned to be one so I am a transgender male. That's what being transgender means, Kellin." Vic said. My mouth was just left open. I mean, what was there to say to that? I felt like an idiot for asking.

"I-I'm sorry for asking!" I said. I grabbed my hands back before they got too clammy stood up from my chair. "You must think I am such an idiot. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to," I pushed in my chair and turned away from him. He probably thought I was stupid just like everyone else did. But I wasn't stupid, I just didn't know. He didn't have to explain any more to me; I got it. He was just different, was all, and I still didn't get it. I had so many more questions to go but I kept them inside. He probably got annoyed that I asked. I was so dense.

"Kellin! It's okay!" He grabbed my arm. Usually, I'd make them remove it but when Vic did it I felt fine. Relaxed from before, almost. "It's okay!"

"I'm dumb. I shouldn't have asked,"

"Why not?"

"Because I don't know anything about this."

"That's okay. It's not a big deal. Besides, I'll teach you." He smiled and held open his arms for me. I looked at the gesture hesitantly but hugged him regardless. It was a warm embrace and something I didn't ever want to let go of. It was just so... right. So much so, when we released, I kissed his cheek.