four

"Mom, I don't want to go to their house again. Especially not for dinner." I groaned as my mom picked a few button-ups out of my closet for me to wear in less than an hour or so.

"Why not, K? They kindly invited us over for dinner."

"I just don't like being there, is all. It's like they're better than us because they have more." I explained and sat down on the bed. She sighed and sat next to me with a new shirt in her hand.

"That's not true and you know it. Some people are just blessed with certain opportunities that others aren't." I rolled my eyes and looked away but she brought my head back over towards her. "But, that in no way means they're better than us."

"Whatever," I said and leaned back on the bed. I placed my hand on the back of my head and groaned loudly. "Just pick already," I grumbled and my mom smiled widely before she threw one over my face and left the room.

It didn't take long for me to get dressed but it did take long for me to stop thinking about how I thought they were higher up than us. I was sure that, deep down in my mom's heart, she knew that sometimes she felt lesser to these people but I was also sure that she didn't let that feeling arise on purpose. I mean, what would be the point? She had other things to worry about and I knew that she liked to take care of things. It keeps her occupied and smiling.

I looked over to her in the car and stared for a moment. Mom didn't look like me. Not at all. But that was something I was relieved about. She had lighter hair, longer too. Her skin was a tone that was tan while mine was on the pale end of the spectrum. She also had these smile wrinkles in her skin that even showed when she was giving a small grin the never escaped her face. I didn't have any of that. If anything, I had wrinkles in my forehead from frowning.

"I love you. Ma." I said over to her before we got out of the car.

"I love you too, Kellin." She smiled and I smiled back at her.