ten

"Hey!" I yelled as soon as I walked in the door. Why did I even come? Because he told me to? No fucking way. That'd never happen so what the fuck was going on with me? "Answer me, now!" I said. I wanted someone to yell at; Vic, the wife; anyone.

"Kellin? Kellin what's wrong with you?" Mom came jogging down the stairs, looking as worried as ever but I just looked at her and then  behind her. Vic was there with confusion spread all over his face.

"You!" I stepped to the side and mom stopped coming towards me. Vic looked at me expectantly. "Why can't your dad leave me the fuck alone? Why can't this family leave me the fuck alone? Just leave me the fuck alone!" I screamed, bawling my fists and throwing them down to my sides.

"Kellin," Mr. Fuentes said behind me. He put his hand on my shoulder. I told him not to fucking touch me; I'd had it. I grabbed his hand and twisted it around, pinning it upward to cause discomfort and he gasped out of it as well.

"Don't touch me!" I yelled at him. He bent down with a hurt look on his face but my mom pulled me back forcefully, making me stumble as Mr. Fuentes got up. I looked around and breathed heavily. Vic was now downstairs and going towards his dad, Mom was looking at me with a disappointed yet worried look on her face and I stood there in the middle of it all.

"I-I'm sorry I didn't mean to. I'm sorry just, please, stop." I breathed. I ran my fingers through my hair and ran out the front door again. I stopped at the sidewalk and sat down.

What the fuck was I doing? What was wrong with me? I just assaulted some old guy! And worse: he was my mom's boss! Now she'll probably be fired because of me. I was such an idiot sometimes. I never thought of her, did I? I only thought of myself. Why did I have such a bad fucking temper anyway? Maybe dad was like this. Maybe he was just as bad as me and that's why I'm so fucking awful.

My hands trembled as I reached into my pocket to grab my case of mints. Over the years, I've filled it with cigarettes that I've bummed from people off the streets. I don't smoke them usually, but lately, I've been finding a need to.

I slowly grabbed the lighter next to it and lit the thing, holding it in my hands for a couple seconds. I just looked at it. Did my dad smoke?

"Kellin?" My mom came out. She sat down next to me but I still held the cigarette in my hand, not saying a word. "Are you alright? Mr. Fuentes said he just came to see if you actually came to the house. What is the matter?" She put her hand on my back and rubbed me. She was the only one allowed to touch me, normally. I wouldn't ever intentionally hurt her. Never.

"Are you fired?" I asked after a while of just staring. It was burning through so I put it to my lips and took a small inhale, held it, then released.

"What?"

"Are you fired? Because of me? Because of what I did?" I repeated. I still didn't look at her. She probably hated me.

"Fired? No, don't be silly." I nodded. That's good. Good news. I swallowed a choke of tears and turned to my mom. She looked back at me like she knew what I was feeling. Although she still had that same expression of worry, the disappointment had vanished. She touched my cheek and kissed it. I didn't wipe it away, though. Instead, I put my head on her chest and took a deep, shaky breath.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay we'll talk at home. Just," she grabbed the cigarette and threw it across the street, "Put this out for good." I chuckled at what she did.

"What? I can't smoke now?"

"When could you? Don't be an idiot." She smiled down at me and stood up with me as we walked in the house. My hands still shook and I itched to punch something but I walked in deep and controlled breaths as I met Mr. Fuentes and Vic inside.

"Sorry," I immediately said as I locked eyes with Vic. Why was I saying sorry to him?

"Kellin, let me explain, please." I looked at him dully. "This money isn't a hand-out. It's not a donation. It's a start, okay? I'm giving it to you to have something to add to when you come to work tomorrow and get paid at the end of the week."

"Work? You're going to hire me?" I said in a small manner. I didn't look at him. Instead, I kept my eyes on my hands. They were still in a fist, but I rotated them to see how they looked. If I were to look at myself right now, though, I bet I'd look pretty threatening. None of that was on my mind, though.

"I am." I finally looked up at him, tears brimmed my eyes but I doubt you could see them. I looked back down when he smiled at me. He knew I was thankful. I knew he knew it. "Do you know why I told you to come here?"

"No," I said quickly. "Why do you guys keep wanting me to meet with him?" I pointed towards Vic, looking at everyone but stopping at Vic. He stood there and looked down at the ground. Vic kind of looked embarrassed. It made me want to see his face, though. Just to be sure, of course.

"I just want you two to be friends, I don't know. It's nothing special, really. Vic just doesn't have friends yet,"

"Come on, dad." He whined. His voice went high and he cleared his throat. It was still so... weird.

"What? You don't want to be friends with me now?" I chuckled at him. He blushed and shook his head.

"T-That's not what I meant, you know?" I laughed. What a weirdo.

"I got it." I sighed. "Again, I'm sorry for flipping out on you guys. Sorry for hurting you, and thank you." I directed. I only received a nod and then he left.

"Kellin, I'll be going home. Why don't you stay here for the night?"

"What? No." I said, dumbfounded. What was going on today? Jesus Christ.

"Yeah, Mrs. Quinn, it's really okay. He doesn't have to."

"Nonsense. He will and then Mr. Fuentes can tell him what is happening with the job tomorrow." She smiled at Vic and then hugged me with a kiss on the head. I wiped it away this time and then she left.

I let out a deep breath and turned towards Vic. He looked at me and said something. But I didn't hear him. I just looked into his eyes. They were pretty big. He had long eyelashes, too. But the color was the most noticeable thing about them. They were a nice color. Way different than mine, or anything I've ever seen before. It was crazy.

"Hello?"

"What?"

"I asked how you were doing?" I sighed. This was going to be a long fucking night. A confusing one at that, too.