Chapter 4

OLIVIA'S POV

I'm throwing my dirty clothes from Greece into metal drum and turning the dial on the washing machine when I hear a faint ringing coming from the open laptop on Harry and I's bed.  It's only been one night since his bed became 'ours' and it still feels a little weird and surreal... but in a great way.

I race down the hallway, sliding on my socks to get to it as quickly as possible and hit "answer" on the Skype call from Emma in New York.

"HEY!" I exclaim far too loudly but I'm always so happy to get a call from my oldest friend.

I miss her so much and although I would love her to share the good times with me, like our recent trip to Santorini, I also selfishly wanted her close when all the horrible shit with Harry was happening.

I would call her once a week to catch her up on everything and although it was nice, and sometimes necessary for my mental health, to talk to someone about what was going on that was removed from the situation it wasn't the same as her being here.

I knew she felt the same way, wishing she could have been there for me to support me through everything and she really was trying as hard as the distance and time difference allowed to check up on me and make sure I ok.

She was so kind and thoughtful when Harry went to California, offering to fly across the country to meet him at the airport or assist him in anyway he needed it.  She was always saying things like, "If he is important to you, he is important to me." Although with all the unwanted paparazzi attention at the time, it was probably the right decision that she didn't end up going. 

She never judged him, or me, and was always full of positive advice or just a friendly (albeit, digital) shoulder to cry on.

"LIV!" She exclaims just as excitedly back.

"How was Greece? Niiiiice tan!"  She grins though the screen.

"Em, you have no idea.  I was actually in heaven." I tell her biting my lip and smiling, excited to reveal the news about my love life.

"Well, funny you should say that actually because I'm kind of on cloud nine myself," she confesses sheepishly.

My mouth drops open and my eyes widen as I watch her lift her left hand up to the camera of her laptop, a solitaire diamond sitting proudly on an elegant gold band upon her ring finger.

I squeal so loudly she snaps it away and joins in and I wish more than anything in the world I could hug her and jump and down holding her hands.

"Oh my god!" I yell, "This is the best news ever! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!"

My eyes start to well with tears as Harry appears in the doorway looking a little concerned at both my face and my voice that was screeching through the house.

"Emma and Jax are engaged!" I scream, swivelling the laptop around so they can see each other and I watch his dimpled smile take over his gorgeous face, his golden skin from the Santorini sun making his teeth look whiter and his green eyes more vibrant than ever.

"HEY! Congratulations!" He shouts walking to the bed and I turn the screen back towards me as he sits beside me, his arm pulling my hips closer to his so we can both fit into the camera view.

"How did he pop the question?" I rush, wanting to hear every minor detail of the exciting news.

"Oh guys, it was so romantic.  We were in central park and I know it sounds cheesy but we were in one of the little row boats on the water.  He stood up and I of course was telling him to sit the hell down because he was making the boat rock so much but when he got down on one knee, I honestly nearly fell in myself."

I squeal again, just because it is the only noise that is adequate to convey my excitement and she starts along with me.

Harry shakes his head and grins at the happy tears that have started to gather in both of our eyes.  "That's amazing Em! Tell Jax I say congrats.  I'm going to leave you girls to this weird high pitched screaming match you've got going on."  He winks at me before waving to Em and leaving the room.

"Um, what was that?" Em says suddenly, her eyes widening in suspicion.

"What? Nothing! Tell me more please!  Have you told your parents? Where will you get married? When can we start planning!?"  I exclaim, not wanting to take the spotlight off her incredible moment.

"It happened yesterday so we told our parents but you're the first to know outside of them I swear!  I'm going to call Bec right after," she admits.  "Mum was screaming so loudly the neighbours came to check if she was ok!"  She laughs the most joy filled giggle and my heart swells for her.  

"Nothing is planned yet, just going to enjoy being engaged for a while and you're not getting out of this that easily, I saw the way you just looked at each other! OLIVIA KATHERINE BAILEY, WHAT HAPPENED IN GREECE?"

I throw my head back in laughter at her faux authoritative tone and her arched eyebrow before taking in a deep breath and giving in.

"Well, you know how you said one day something will happen that will make me look back at the breakup with Dan and laugh?... Well, I guess it happened."  I chuckle as I watch her hand fly over her mouth.

"Holy smoke!" She shouts and I laugh at how different she is to Bec and I who casually curse every couple of sentences.

"So, you kissed?" she asks and I nod.

"And slept together?" I nod again and giggle like a school girl.

She gasps and is grinning from ear to ear and I know she is dying to say, "I told you you should have done this months ago," but is far too kind to ever do that, even in jest.

"Are you, together, together?" she questions, trying to contain her joy.

"Yep, and it's amazing, seriously Em, I've never felt like this before." My eyes glance to the empty door and I lower my voice before continuing. "I'm in so deep, I think I knew it all along but the minute I kissed him it was so clear.  It's like I'm drowning in him.  He's like a dream and I'm terrified I'm going to wake up."  I tell her honestly. 

For some reason, Emma is the only person I seem to be able to openly, verbally share my thoughts with.  She has this strange calming effect on me that makes me see and feel things clearly and it has always been like this, even from a young age when we were at school.  I think this is part of the reason why we have always been so close, she just gets me and there's no one else like her.

"You can't fear it honey, you'll never be able to fully embrace the feelings if there is underlying fear.  This is an amazing thing and he is an incredible man.  You are both so lucky, so just enjoy every day."  She states, sounding like a self help book but it's oddly reassuring.

"I know, I know you're right,"  I agree.

"You know what, I thought you were crazy for not getting together earlier but now I think he needed to go through that dark period.  I think it made you both see how much you really care for him, no strings attached and even through the toughest times."

"I would honestly do anything for him Em." I confess and she nods her head in understanding.

"Double wedding?" She jokes and I throw my head back in laughter and she joins in.