2 | prologue

2 | PROLOGUE

She was a test subject

She was a test subject. One of the first. She was taken from her mother the moment she was born. She was supposed to be named Corinna, after the Greek poet her mother absolutely adored. But, Hawkins Lab had other plans for her.

Corinna was sent to Hawkins Lab, to be one of their first experiments. There, she was assigned her number— her name for all she knew: 004. There, she made a friend... her 'sister' she called her. Her name was Two (002) although, like Corinna, her true name was Julez. The two grew to be the best of friends.

Corinna was pricked and prodded at unknowingly for years until she... disappeared. She was Hawkins Lab's first failure. It was a major loss to the scientists, for she showed the most endurance and power out of all of the test subjects. They assumed she had simply vaporized due to the amount of stress inflicted on her during the trials.

In reality, Corinna had simply become... stuck. She was stuck in the dark limbo of the Upside Down for years. It was as if she were a ghost, lingering and listening in over the people of Hawkins. She knew of everything that went down— Hawkins Lab had been exposed after one of their other test subjects, Eleven, had opened the gate to the Upside Down— releasing only a handful of the darkness it held. She also watched over Two, whom had been hidden and cared for by Hawkins' finest jock, Steve Harrington.

While she 'watched over' the small town of Hawkins, she learned of her past, of her mother, and of her name. She had so much time to spare in limbo that she even learned how to speak complete English like the locals of Hawkins. Time went unbearably slow in limbo. Corinna thought she was going to spend the rest of eternity in the pitch black darkness... that was until one day she woke up.