Under a Bad Moon~*~Chapter 14

Dedicated to Lverlaine for the gorgeous new cover <3

VOTE COMMENT AND SHARE Please?!? :D

Chapter 14

{Austin's POV}

I was anxious. I really wanted a girl, but with my luck, it would be a boy. With my rotten luck... It would be good to finally settle the score once and for all. Would we be having a boy or a girl?

As usual, when we woke up the next morning, we went through our normal morning routines and went down stairs to eat breakfast. Veronica's mother was sitting at the table quietly, sipping coffee and flipping through a magazine. Veronica's father, the Alpha, was nowhere to be found.

It wasn't surprising that he wasn't home. Alpha's left on business all the time. There were meetings, pack problems, wars over territory. You know, the usual things. I would never have to worry about those things though. Sure, my mate was destined to be the next Alpha but that didn't mean I would run the pack beside her. No one trusted New moon wolves. Apparently our wolves were stubborn and power-hungry so by default, that made us pigheaded, tyrannical people. I was destined to be a dictator in their books.

"Morning mom," Veronica greeted. She skipped around the table-something I'm sure she wasn't aware she was doing-to kiss her mother on the cheek. Then she daintily skipped her way into the kitchen to make what I knew would be a cup of coffee. My mate loved her coffee.

"Morning Mrs. Blake," I greeted, nodding my head respectfully in her direction.

"Good morning, Austin." She flipped her magazine over so it was faced down and turned to me, clasping her hands under her chin. "I assume you're taking my daughter to her appointment?"

"That was the plan, ma'am."

Mrs. Blake regarded me coolly. "I know it was not your intention to mate and impregnate Veronica but I do appreciate that you stepped up and took care of her. Most males that accidently mated would try to put as much distance between them and the girl as they possibly could. They would try to break the bond but you didn't do that. I think Veronica is lucky to have found a man that didn't run from her at the first sign of trouble." Mrs. Blake took a deep breath. "I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you. Thank you for taking care of our daughter. She values your companionship, you know."

I wish older people didn't try to sound so sophisticated sometimes. I assume that "she values your companionship" means that Veronica loves me in one way or another. Hey, a guy can hope. "Uh, thanks." I stood up. "I'm going to go see what's taking Veronica so long."

I was actually going to get a bowl of cereal...or two...maybe three. And check on my mate. The cereal was just a bonus.

It turns out that Veronica was just leaning against the countertop, listening in on our conversation. When she saw me come in, her lips tilted into a smirk. I resisted the urge to kiss those smirking lips. She was leaning forward, exposing some lovely cleavage to me. I took a step forward and wrapped an arm around her waist.

"Are you ready to settle this?" She asked, the same smirk playing on her lips.

"Yup, and I'm going to win. It'll be a girl all the way, baby!"

"Nope, it's a boy."

"No it's not," I denied stubbornly.

"Are you willing to make a wager? Winning party gets a massage, no complaints."

I pondered this momentarily. What did I have to lose? A massage usually led to...other things... Even if I lost, I won. "Deal."

"Don't think I didn't see that glint in your eyes," she warned. "You aren't touching this body," Veronica gestured to herself, "in any other place than where I tell you to." She winked and slipped out of my hold. "Now let's go. I don't like being late to things."