Under a Bad Moon~*~Chapter 3

Chapter 3

{Veronica’s POV}

            Somebody knocked on my door. It wasn’t Austin. From the bond and the sounds that had come from down stairs just a few minutes before, I knew Austin had been kicked out of my house. I also knew he had made a promise he only intended on keeping because my father was a scary person. No feelings, other than fear, were involved.

            “Come in,” I said gently. I also knew it wasn’t Dad.  The door to his study had slammed as soon as Austin was out of the house.

            Mom pushed open the door slowly and peeked in. “Are you okay?”

            “Yeah, I’m fine.” I lied. As soon as I had gotten up stairs I had thrown up.

            “Are you really pregnant?” She asked me.

            I nodded. “Yep, I haven’t had a period this month, so I took a few of those pharmacy tests and they all said positive.”

            She looked thoughtful. “How far along do you think you are?”

            “Six weeks,” I remembered because I had slept with Austin just two weeks before the Full Moon.

            “Okay, I’ll go call the doctor. We’ll get some blood work done and you’ll get an ultrasound done. You do know the Full Moon is in three days, right? You can’t change when you’re pregnant or you’ll kill the baby.”

            “What?” I blanched. I’ve never tested it, but people said it was nearly impossible to resist the power of the moon calling to you. I always gave in. There was no point in trying to resist something infinitely more powerful than me.

            “You heard me.”

            “How-” I frowned. “So that’s why not many Full Moon wolves get pregnant.”

            “Honey, no Full Moon wolves get pregnant. You’re the first female in centuries to change on the Full Moon.”

            I let it sink in. Centuries? Maybe I was rare after all. “How do I stop it?”

            Mom shrugged. “That’s something for you to figure out, honey. I have no idea.”

            “Oh.” I let my head fall forward, so my hair could act as a curtain and mask my expression. I didn’t know how to feel. I felt conflicted. Let the baby die or fight the moon?

            Isn’t there a song called ‘Can’t Fight the Moonlight?’ Austin asked. That thought alone gave me little hope.

*                                   *                                   *

            Not more than an hour and a half later, I was sitting at the doctor’s office on a table in one of those backless dresses. My doctor was technically the pack’s doctor. We couldn’t have werewolves going to a human doctor, could we?

            “Hello, Miss Blake.” She greeted. Doctor Turner was a small woman. She had dark brown hair, cut short with bangs, sky blue eyes, and pale white skin. Her eyes had a heavy line of eyeliner under them, but other than that she wore no make-up. She was also very young. We liked to keep our doctors young because of the constant load of work they had. Pack members came in all the time. They needed different things. Some were injured, needed meds to make their change hurt less; children were brought in to see when they would start transforming—to see whether they were Ever, Full moon, or New moon—etcetera. Doctor Turner was an Ever wolf.