Chapter 6

The walk to my brother's office seemed interminable. I led the way, feeling his eyes on my backside. Just the feeling, made me shudder. I knew he could sense my uneasiness. 

Going inside the office, he closed the door behind us. Suddenly, I felt like a trapped animal. "You don't have to be afraid of me." He looked me up and down, and his eyes changed color. "I don't think that dress is appropriate." 

Looking at myself, I wasn't sure what he meant. "Why's that?" I shakily said. 

"It shows too much of you. You're only for me," he purred. I hadn't even realized that he backed me into a bookcase, with nowhere to go. Dipping his head down, he took in my scent. "You smell so good, mate." 

Worming away from him, I was seriously uncomfortable. "Please don't call me that!" 

 "Why? Why not?" he yelled. I recoiled in fear. "I'm sorry, Dakota. I don't mean to get this way, but you have to accept that you are my mate." 

Sitting down on the bay window ledge, I didn't know what to do. Teary eyed, I looked straight at him. "There are so many more deserving females out there. Why me?"

Coming towards me, he knelt down. Even kneeling, he was still taller than I was. He took my face in both hands. "Because you, only you, are who I want. You are the female that I want in my life, in my bed, and by my side." He wiped my tears away with his thumb. When he touched me, I felt sparks all over my skin. I could clearly see the sincerity in his eyes. Nodding, he kissed my forehead. "Come on, let's go back to the party." We stood, and he towered over me, but I felt safe. 

"Oh, hey, I need to check my face. Pretty sure I cried off my make-up," I joked. 

"I'll go with you," he purred. 

"You don't have to. It's girl stuff." 

Putting a strong hand on my hip, he squeezed slightly. "I want to." 

Rather than going upstairs to my bathroom, I went to the downstairs guest bathroom. Jason was hot on my heels, watching every move I made. Looking at myself in the mirror, I didn't look as bad as I thought I did. Taking a tissue, I wet it slightly, dabbing under my eyes. Only some of my mascara ran down. 

"You know you don't need all that on your face," Jason remarked. He took a seat on the closed toilet, watching me. I didn't respond. "Did you think you had to impress me?" 

"Honestly," I started, "I didn't know what to do. I've known about your pack for a long time. Known you've been with countless women--"

"How?" he asked. 

"Girls at school talk," I answered. There was a low rumble in his chest. "Do you understand why I would think that I'm not worthy of an Alpha of your caliber?"

"Of course you are. You are a gorgeous woman, and any man who would have been your mate would have been lucky. Thankfully, I'm your man."  I smiled at him, gently. "You still aren't sure, are you?"

"I don't know how I feel," I confessed. 

"Come, sweetheart," he said, extending his hand to me, "let's go back to the party." 

Taking his hand, I felt the sparks goall the way up my arm. What is this feeling I keep having? Is it supposed to feel this way? He makes me feel safe, but I know what will happen if I go with him. I'll have to leave my pack, my family. I'm not prepared for that.

Going back outside, I saw Devon and Ashley dancing a slow dance. Erika and Mandy weren't too far off dancing with their warrior mates, Brian and Alexander. Their pairing always made me laugh. Twins that were mated to the Beta and Third.