6: Auditions for Recognitions

Chapter Six

John

________

They kissed.

Adam and Kat were kissing in class, oblivious to others attention. I have no idea why he did it but I wasn't just going to let him win her like that. Thankfully, so wasn't Kat.

She slapped him, pushing him away. That's when Ms. Santos snapped and sent both of them to see the principal. Everyone, as expected, were dumbstruck. The class fell into silence when they left. I somehow felt bad for Kat though. She didn't deserve to be stuck in this situation just because of a stupid game that we had decided to play. In fact, I don't even know why I agreed to this but there was something about Kat that intruiged me. If it had been any other girl, I wouldn't have agreed to it.

Kat isn't like any other girl. She doesn't wear those revealing clothes like other girls do to attract guys. She was simply, attractive. She didn't really dress bad. Actually, she didn't dress bad at all. She wears anythnig and still looks good in it. And I wasn't exaggerating when I said anything. She always comes to school a surprise. One day she would be in designer jeans and top and the next day she would be in simple sweats and a sweatshirt and still look adorable. It just added to her cuteness. She's very unpredictable.

She's not a real blonde though. Her hair is brunette. How do I know? I live next to her and she doesn't even know it. Her eyes may look green at times, but they turn baby blue during winter. She always looked her best casual. For all who knows, she could be dressed as a leprechaun tomorrow. Don't forget, she's also very witty, and smart. She wasn't exactly a nerd, but she was smart enough to outsmart you just like that.

But whatever it takes. I'm going to win this.

Or in this case.. Her.

...

Each of us were to audition for the play at the auditorium after school for a part. Alot of people were there and some of them weren't in my class so they must be from Ms. Santos' other class period. Adam was there too. He was sitting in the corner of the auditorium, obviously bored of the auditions. I searched for Kat and my eyes landed on the other corner of the room. She looked bored as well. Since she was alone, I took my chances and walked towards her.

"Hey cutie," I said while sitting next to her.

She dropped her gaze to the floor. "Hey John."

"Look," I started, "about yesterday, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come on to you like that." And I really didn't. It just.. happened.

She didn't answer.

We sat there in silence, looking at the stage.

Suddenly, she spoke up. "Do you like me John?"

The innocence and straightforwardness of her voice made my cheeks burn.

 I was taken back by her question. I really wasn't expecting that. But one thing you should know about Kat, she get's straight to the point. She was daring and I admired her for that.

I hesitated before answering her,"Why do you ask?"

"We've known each other since elementary school and you've never tried anything till yesterday," she said suspiciously.

I smiled at her kindly looking straight into her eyes, "You have no idea how much I've always wanted to do that."

For a moment, I could've sworn I saw a tinge of happiness in her eyes but then it quickly disappeared and she replaced it with a bored look. "Ha ha, you almost got me there, John"

Stubborn much.

I opened my mouth, about to say something back but closed it when Ms. Santos' called her out for her audition.

I watched her walk down the side of the auditorium and climed up stage.

___

Kat was absolutely phenomenal.

The play was romeo and juliet and she was required to read a portion of the play as her audition. She was just absolutely breathtaking. There was no doubt she would get the lead. Her actions were graceful and yet meaningful at the same time. She understood art and passion and that's exactly what she showed everyone on stage.

Everyone burst into applause when she finished, even Adam. I clapped my hands wildly while everyone stood up. I couldn't help but smile. She had a talent for this and she wasn't affraid to show it. She bowed and smiled thankfully at everyone. Then her eyes met mine and she stuck her tongue out sneakily.

My dazed moment didn't last long though. My blood ran cold when Ms. Santos called my name. I watched Kat walk off stage and walk over towards me. "Good luck, John," she said sweetly.

_____

When I finished, I quickly walked over to where Kat was. She looked pleased and everyone was clapping but her. I ignored them. On the way, I caught a glare from Adam and stood right in front of Kat. I took her hand and stood her up. I wrapped my arms around her delicate waist and hugged her tight.

"You looked beautiful up there," I said.

She smiled sweetly," Aww, I wish I felt the same about you!" She joked, then walked off towards the exit, leaving me hanging.

_______