CHAPTER 18: THE FINAL LETTER

15 YEARS LATER - I lay my head on the soft pillow on my couch and close my eyes. 'Done the dishes? Check! Brought the kids to school? Check! Called the office about the project? Check! Walked with the dogs? Fuck....' I open my eyes and groan. That's what I forgot. I stand up and walk into the huge garden, which is full with flowers and trees. 'Hope! Hunter! Cody!' I yell and two black husky pups are running towards me. 'Hi princess, hi boy. Where's your little brother?' I stand up again. 'Cody! Come here boy! Cody!' An even smaller white husky pup runs clumsy towards his brother and sister. 'Hi boy. Here you are. Let's go for a walk.' Suddenly all three pups are running in the same direction away from me. 'Dammit guys! Come back here!' I sigh and run around a couple trees trying to catch them. Then something hits my head causing me to fall on the grass. When I look up I see Camila lying next to me groaning. 'We do this a lot, don't we?' I joke, causing her to giggle. 'Yes we do.' She reaches for my hand as I stand up. 'Hi.' She says smiling when we're finally standing back on our feet. I kiss her soft warm lips. 'How is my wife doing?' I ask proudly. I still can't believe she actually said yes, even though we were in a relationship for seven years already then. 'Your wife is doing great. She has a day off so she was planning to go for a walk with the pups, so her partner could lay down for a minute.' She winks. 'Thank you baby.' I peck her lips for the second time and smile. 'I think I am going to visit Jake. I haven't seen him in a while. I hope he doesn't blame me for that. We are both so busy with our jobs and we have three pups and three kids-' 'Babe, just go. I will be fine and I am sure he misses you too.' I let go of her hands and make my way inside. I put on my leather jacket and look for my sneakers. 'Babe, I am going to pick up the kids after school and drop them off at Jacob and Maya's house. They wanted to play together and Maya told me they can have a sleepover, which means we are alone tonight.' She smiles playful. 'Hmm interesting.' I grab my car keys and kiss her lips for the last time. 'I will be back in an hour.' With that said I leave our house and step into the black Audi I got from Camila for our 10th anniversary 5 years ago.

I arrive at small cozy house in the center of the city. I remember the day Jake finally had enough money to buy it. We went to a restaurant nearby for his birthday and when we passed by and saw this house was for sale he couldn't stop talking about it. He wanted a place for his own for a while now but he never really found something. He spent all his savings on this house and he even sold all his stuff to buy the house and some new furniture. He was so happy when he moved in here. Camila and I helped him paying for a small car and invited him over for dinner two days a week. We knew how much he wanted to stay here so we helped him until he got a better paid job. He wanted to become a doctor, just like his father and it's unbelievable how hard he worked for it. I am so proud of him.

I wake up out of my thoughts and make my way to the front door. I ring the bell twice as a sign that it's me. After waiting for two minutes I ring twice again, but still no response. Maybe he isn't home. It's Friday so there is a chance he is still working in the hospital. I decide to wait for him inside and search for the key in my bag. I open the door and call his name just in case he didn't hear the bell. No, he is not home. I walk into the kitchen and open the refrigerator to get myself something to drink. I fill a glass with Ice Tea and place it on the kitchen table. An open door which leads to the garden catches my eye. Did he forget to close it? Or maybe he is in the garden. I look into the garden but no one is there. Strange... I close the door and lock it. I look around the kitchen. It seems untouched... 'Jayden there is no one here. Stop being so paranoia.' I shake my head. I decide to watch television until Jake comes home and grab my drink to go to the living room.

The glass slips out of my hand as I am nailed to the ground, glass hitting the floor. A scream escapes my lips and tears are shooting out of my eyes. My breathing is fast and my heart is pounding. My skin is filled with goosebumps. In the middle of the living room Jake's pale body lays on the ground, stabbed with a knife over a twenty times. I try to move closer but my feet are frozen to the ground. My knees hit the wooden floor as I look at the paper nailed to my brother's cold and lifeless body.

"DID YOU MISS ME?"