CHAPTER 1: AFTER YESTERDAY

'Jayden! Come on, wake up. First day of school.' The sound of a familiar voice is entering my ears. My eyes feel heavy and all I want is to sleep the rest of the day. I roll over and hide my face under the warm sheets. Two strong hands pull the sheets away, causing the sunlight to attack my face. I squeeze my eyes and turn my back to the window. 'Jayden Michelle Hale, get your ass out of bed.' After a couple seconds, I open my eyes. My mother stands in front of my bed. Her stern look changes into a bright smile. After laying a pair of clothes on the chair in the corner of the room she presses her warm lips against my forehead. 'Come on honey. Put a smile on your face. School will be fun. Meeting new people, new teachers, meeting hot guys-' I roll my eyes and get out of my bed. 'Mom! Please stop. I will go to school, happy now?' I run my hand through my hair. 'Someone is grumpy today. Well I made you breakfast so I see you downstairs.' She leaves the bedroom and closes the door.

I don't want to go to school. Especially not today, but I don't have a choice. My mother would drag me to school if I would refuse to go. I don't understand why she is so passionate about things like school. She is always telling my brother and I about the wild parties and great adventures she experienced at school. I cannot relate. I am very different from her. That doesn't mean I don't love her. We both know I am more like my dad. That's one of the things in life she can't deny. I am more a Hale than a Farells. It's one of the main reasons why my mother and I argue a lot. In everything I do, all she sees is dad. This can be hard for her since my father was the one leaving her when she was loving him the most.

I change my clothes and put my favorite make-up on: eyeliner, mascara and for the final touch some blush. I open my door which is covered with posters of rock bands and walk in the direction of the kitchen. 'Morning sweetheart. Did you sleep well?' A tall man with dark brown eyes asks me while passing me in the hall. I roll my eyes irritated. 'Yes, I am fine. I have to go. Bye.' I didn't want to be rude, I just don't get along with the new "boyfriend" of my mom. He is always acting nice and tries to bond with us, but I just can't find a way to look at him without feeling a weight in my stomach. I think I just miss my dad since he isn't living with us anymore. I don't see my dad often. He lives not far away, but my mom doesn't want me to be anywhere near him. At first, I secretly went to visit my dad because I was afraid of how she would react. However, I guess my mom already knows I am seeing him. She never mentions it. I think she is starting to accept him being in my life again. I just hope one day they can say "hi" without yelling and screaming to each other. 'That's fast. Here, a sandwich. I also made you one for school so you don't have to buy anything.' I grab my bag and go sit on one of the empty chairs. 'Thanks.' I smile at her. I look at the boy next to me. He is busy playing a videogame. 'Saying hi to your sister is not normal anymore? Jake?' The boy ignores the sound of my voice. 'Hello? Never mind.' I groan and take a bite of my sandwich. My phone lights up. '08:20am?! I have to go! School starts in ten minutes.' I give my mom a quick peck on her lips and leave the house. I grab my bike and cycle to school as fast as I can. I can't be late on my first day. It will make it only worse if I get a speech about being too late for class in front of the whole class.

I run to the huge front doors of my school. 'Hey Jay! Late as always.' A tall girl smiles at me. 'Oh my God! Macy! What are you doing here?' I hug the blond-haired girl. 'Surprise! Did you really think I would let you go to another school all alone? I changed schools. I can't leave my best friend alone.' As the bell rings, we let go of each other. The girl looks at me with a huge smile on her face. 'Let's go. We don't want to be late for our first class.' I look confused at her. 'But we already are late?' She grabs my hand and leads me inside of the huge building. 'I can fix that.'