CHAPTER 17: PART 1: ROUTE 4

On full speed we drive in the direction of Route 4. 'Hurry up!' I hear Macy say, who is sitting in the back of the car. 'We're almost there. Take the next left.' His hands swing the steering wheel, causing our bodies to lean against one side of the car. Jacob turns his head to say something. 'Eyes on the road!' Slips from my lips. 'Sorry um it's the stress.' I apologize. He turns his head back to the road. 'Okay we're on Route 4. What now?' Macy looks at the navigation system. 'I think we're already there.' I say when I see police cars appearing on the road in front of us. We park the car next to the police cars. One of the officers walks over to us. 'You can't park here-' 'We are family of Jayden Hale. They asked us to drive here.' I interrupt him, trying to sound convincing. 'The girl has been found. She is already on her way to the hospital. The suspects are arrested.' The officer explains. Then two handcuffed men catches our eyes. My jaw drops when I realize who the younger man is. 'N- Nathan...' I hear Maya say. I feel the anger in me raising. Thomas was right all along and we didn't believe him.... I feel my hand get grabbed by Macy. 'Camila we should go. There is nothing here for us. We are going to the hospital.' I know she felt the anger in my and she was trying to calm me down, but no one can do that right now. I am so mad at Nathan for doing this to Jayden. My blood is boiling but even though I would love to punch him in the face right now, I rather get to see Jayden without my hands cuffed. She doesn't need any more drama. I turn around and see Jacob and Maya already sitting in the car. Macy is still holding my hand waiting for me to get in the car. I nod and make my way to the car with her. I need to see Jayden.

We arrive at the hospital and I never have felt so emotional. Before the car even stops I jump out of it and run inside the hospital. 'Jayden Michelle Hale, eighteen years old-' The woman interrupts me. 'Third floor, Room 27.' I thank her and make my way to the room as fast as I can. I stop in front of Room 27 and breathe for a minute. Then I slowly open the door to see Jayden's parents waiting for their daughter to wake up. 'Camila? What are you doing here?' They ask confused. 'Um we kind of bought a flight to Seattle. We-' I try to smile but I can't look away from Jayden's sleeping body. 'We?' I don't even listen anymore and make my way to the sleeping girl. I grab her cold hand and stroke my thumb over the scar on her hand without losing her out of my sight. Behind me three teenagers appear in the doorway. 'Hi.' They say and enter the room. I catch a glimpse of the small smile which is appearing on Miss Farells' face. We stay in the room for half an hour talking about how happy we are we found Jayden back. I realize how tired her parents must be and decide to give them some rest. 'Miss Farells, Mister Hale maybe it's time for you to get some rest. Get something to eat in the canteen. I will stay here with Jayden. I promise.' I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up. Jacob nods and leaves the room with the girls. 'You can call me Sarah and that's really kind of you but-' Miss Farells gets interrupted. 'I think the young lady here is right. You haven't eaten since we got here. It's time to breathe again.' He leads his ex-wife out of the room and thanks me for the offer I made. 'Hey... Jay... Um everyone left to get some rest but I am right here. I won't leave you. I will stay here will you wake up. You're safe with me.' I stroke her cheek.

I stayed in the room for hours, telling her stories about how clumsy I am and about how much I missed her laughing about it. I know she needs a lot of rest and sleep, but secretly I hope she will wake up soon. The doctor came by a couple times telling me she can wake up every minute, so I keep my hopes up. 'Just tell me to shut up when you're getting bored of my voice.' After minutes of staring at her chest going up and down I hear the thing I love most in this world. Her voice. 'I would never.' She whispers softly. Her eyes are still half closed and she smiles a little. A tear rolls over my cheek. 'Hey sleepyhead, I missed you.' I tell her softly and stroke her hand. 'I'm going to let the doctor know you woke up okay? I will be right there in the doorway.' I point at the white door of the room. The door already opens and a nurse enters the room. 'She is awake.' I tell her quickly.

After everyone talked to Jayden we decided to give her some more time to rest. She has been through so much. Jacob, Maya and Macy already fled back to tell Jake and Michael the great news. I refused to fly back with them and leave Jayden. I wanted to stay until she woke up again. I promised her to not leave her side ever again and I planned to keep that promise. Besides, I could keep an eye on Jayden while her parents sleep. A hand on my shoulder wakes me up from my thoughts. 'Camila, I will take it over from here. You should get some sleep too.' I look up and see Mister Hale standing next to me. 'It's okay I-' The man interrupts me. 'That wasn't a question. Get some sleep Camila. I will wake you up when Jayden does.' He says polite. 'Okay.' I nod and let go of Jayden her hand. Maybe it's a good plan to get some sleep.