CHAPTER 17: PART 2: THE FINAL TRUTH

It has been weeks since I laid in the hospital. I remember how happy everyone was when they saw me again. I don't think I could've been happier in my whole life. Apparently I could.

My thoughts get interrupted by two soft lips on mine. 'Morning beautiful.' Camila smiles widely while she cuddles herself up against my chest. 'Morning Camz.' I kiss her forehead. 'Are you ready for today?' She asks me carefully. I nod as she kisses the scar on my hand. Today the judges will decide Nathan and his father's faith. We will spend the whole day in court. I am afraid Nathan won't be punished enough because of what he said during the interrogation a couple weeks ago. He tried to convince everyone that he's father forced him to do it. That he would get killed if he didn't obeyed him. He blamed his father for what he did. I know he will be punished for what he did to me, but I am afraid they couldn't find enough evidence for the other kidnap he was complicit in. I guess we just have to wait and see what the judge will decide. I run my hands through my girlfriend's hair. 'When do we have to get up?' She looks up from my chest. 'Around 12pm in court so in about an hour I guess?' She smiles and kisses my cheek. 'Enough time to cuddle then.' 'Yes.' I smile. 'Camz?' She looks up again. 'Yes?' 'I heard what happened with Thomas and your mom.... Why are your mother and Maya so protective?' I hear a soft sigh coming from her lips. 'I have never told anyone this. A while ago I was home alone and told Maya to come over. We got invited to a party of some guy at our old school. I thought he was a great guy and begged Maya to come with me, even though we weren't allowed to leave the house. Maya agreed on going to the party with me but I had to promise her not to drink anything alcoholic. Well, i broke that promise. I drank too much I couldn't feel my legs anymore. The guy who invited me said he wanted to help me and brought me upstairs, somewhere where I could rest.' She stops and tries to take a moment to breathe. 'Hey Camz, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to.' 'I know. I want to.' Then she continues. 'He um.... He raped me...' Tears are rolling over her cheeks. I stroke my thumb over her cheek. 'You're safe here. I promise. I won't ever let anything happen to you.' I kiss her forehead as she smiles softly. 'Oh and about the bumping into you for a thousand times, I am just very clumsy.' She jokes and wipes the tears away. 'I know you are, dork.' I wink and wrap my arms around her. 'We will get through anything together.' With that said we lay in bed until we have to leave for court.

After hours of listening to witnesses and lawyers it's time for a break. In one hour we will know about the faith of K. Andrews and his son Nathan. We leave the court room and enter a private room for the family of "the victim." To be honest, that term doesn't make me feel any better. Michael and my mom are talking to my dad, which is actually one of the only good things caused by what happened to me. Jake is playing chests with Jacob on his iPad, Maya and Thomas - yes, Thomas - are discussing what will happen with Nathan and his dad, and Macy and Camila are talking about girl stuff. They finally are getting along. I talked about it with Macy and she told me she felt left out because I only had eyes for Camila, which she understands now. I apologized and since then we are as close as before. What am I doing? Well, let's call it observing my lovely family and friends. I know this day is full of negative energy and horrible experiences, but I am trying to focus on the good things. We have to keep moving, not standing still in the past.

We are back in the court room. Camila sits behind me and I feel her eyes on me. The judge walks over to her seat and wait for everyone to be silent again. I am happy Nathan and his father aren't in the court room right now. They refused to be there. I think I wouldn't be able to handle the confrontation, so I am happy they refused. 'The jury has decided. Mister K. Andrews and his son N. Moore are found guilty for kidnap. N. Moore is sentenced to 15 years in jail for kidnapping a woman in May 2018. K. Andrews is sentenced to 25 years in jail for kidnapping an innocent girl in June 2014 and woman in May 2018.' I can't believe what I am hearing. They found proof about the other case too. The weight in my stomach disappears and I feel relieved. A minimum of 15 years away from them. I turn my head and see my mom who is crying. Everyone looks relieved. I take a deep breath and feel all negativity leaving my body. No more sleepless nights. No more worries.

I am free.