My Sister's Boyfriend - Chapter 18

"Which skirt do you like better?" Hazel asked me holding up two different skirts.

"I don't like skirts."

"You should," my mother said coming up from behind me. I rolled my eyes at her. Unfortunately she didn't see.

"Why should I?"

It was my mom's turn to roll her eyes. "Go with the blue one, Hun."

Today I had agreed to go shopping with my mother and sister. Well, I actually didn't agree to it, more like they forced me to go. Mom thought it would be a good time to spend some quality time with her "girls". Honestly, she only brought me so she could try to girlify my wardrobe.

"I kind of like the pink," Hazel said.

"Take both," mom replied.

I gaped at her she was going to spend about a hundred dollars on two skirts. "You sure you can afford that mom?" I asked.

"Your father got a raise." She grabbed the skirts from Hazel, "See anything you like?"

I shrugged. "I saw a tank top."

"Go grab it. I wanna see."

I went towards the back of the store to grab the tank top. Mom was definitely not going to like the shirt.

The minute mom saw it she shook her head. "You like that?"

"It has flowers on it."

"I don't want that kind of flowers."

It was a skull with two roses where the eyes should be. I handed the tank top and thankfully she grabbed it without arguing with me. She gaped at it for a few minutes then returned to helping out Hazel.

"Only because it has flowers," she mumbled as she walked away.

I laughed to myself. I kept looking around for some shorts. It was supposed to be in the nineties by next week. I guess coming here with mom wasn't so bad. For once she was actually buying something for me. Usually she spends all her money on my sister who complains that she doesn't have enough clothes or no one bothers to buy things for her. An ungrateful brat my sister is.

By the time we were done shopping my mom had blown five hundred dollars away. And as you could probably guess most of it was my sisters.

When we got home my mom asked me to give dad the receipt. He looked at it and I could've sworn his eyes popped out of its sockets. Dad shook his head.

"What did you get?" he asked not looking up from the receipt.

I pulled out the clothes that were in the shopping bag. I showed him the tank top, the two pairs of shorts, the yoga pants, and the sandals mom bought for me.

Dad looked up the items on the receipt and did some calculations to see how much my clothes cost. I was scared that he was going to have me return the clothes.

"Funny. All your stuff was about two hundred. I'm guessing the rest is Hazels," he said.

I shrugged. "I guess."

"Looks like we're going back to the mall."

"Oh, do you want my stuff."

He shook his head. "Go ahead and keep it."

"Thanks," I said as I turned to walk out of his study.

"Haven?"

"Yeah, dad?"

"Where did Hazel go last night?"

"She went out with her friend."

"She didn't come home so where did she stay?"

"Don't tell mom or Hazel I'm the one who told you. I don't wanna hear shit from them. But Hazel and her friend went to go stay at some Frat boy's house."

He let out a deep breath. "Call your sister for me."

I locked myself in my room, listening to arguing that was going on in my dad's study. In a way I felt bad but honestly inside I was laughing. My dad is finally telling her something. Downstairs I head the doorbell ring. Someone walked out of the study. All I heard was click click click. Right away I knew it was mom.

I could hear her briefly talking to someone.

I could hear Hazel walking out of dad's study. She slammed her door once she got to her room. Dad walked downstairs to see who was at the door also. I walked out of my room and followed him to see who was here.

"Just let him in," Dad mumbled.

"What?!" my mom exclaimed, sounding appalled.

Vince was here.

"He's not going to burn down the house. You let Hazel's boyfriend in and-" Dad stopped himself from continuing. I was really curious about what he was going to say.

"But-"

"Just let the poor kid in, Betsy."

"Thank you." I heard Vince say as he entered. I walked out of the kitchen and into the living room to see him.

Mom stormed off upstairs. Dad walked into the kitchen, leaving us alone.

"So what's new?" I asked him awkwardly.

He shrugged. "I think I might know why my dad left and where he is."

"Really? Why? Where?"

Vince started walking upstairs to my room. I closed the door when we were inside. I waited patiently for him to speak up.

"Obviously someone was after him. I don't know who or why but it must've been something really bad. I think that's why he faked his own death and left."

"Where did he go?"

"I think he went out of the country."

"Out of the country?" I asked in shock.

Vince nodded and rubbed his chin. "I don't know exactly where but I think he went to my grandma's old house."

"Where is your grandma's old house?"

He sighed. "It's in Ireland."

"Why do you think Ireland?"

Vince sat down at my desk. "When I was younger we would go there during winter break. My grandma's house is very secluded and hard to find."

I nodded. "That makes sense. But what exactly does he have or what did he do so bad that he had to fake his own death and leave is own family?"

Vince shook his head. I could tell that he hadn't got that far yet or figured out all the details. He just sat there staring at the floor.

"Did Jerry come up with this?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "This is just my theory."

"What has Jerry come up with? Anything new?"

"No he's still looking. In fact I have to go down there and let him know about my theory."

"I'll go with you. Does your mom know about this?"

"No. And you can't say anything."

"I won't tell anyone."

Vince nodded. "How about we just hang out? I don't want you to go down there."

Later on, Vince's mom called him to tell him to come home. She needed to go in to work and Vince had to watch his little sister. I walked with Vince downstairs and kissed him goodbye. After he left my dad came out from the kitchen.

"Be careful, Haven."

"Of Vince?" I was completely annoyed with people telling me to be careful or stay away from him.

"No. Not him."

"Then who?"

My dad frowned. "Other people."

~MSB~